Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, ride safe! The CB500Club team

Hibernation

Fair Weather Rider
Running out of unique names
Running out of unique names

Hibernation

Post by Fair Weather Rider on Sat 25 Nov 2017, 6:34 pm

You can tell we are having a cold snap, everyone has gone into Hibernation.
Never known the Forum so quiet.
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. santa
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Re: Hibernation

Post by trevor machine on Sat 25 Nov 2017, 6:49 pm

It's been close to flat lining for months now tbh. Felt like it was only me and james posting for week after week at one point.
ceejay
the 900
the 900

Post by ceejay on Sat 25 Nov 2017, 6:55 pm

With a name like that, I'd expect you to be too!  tongue

Winter combined with there being less CB500's out there everyday that passes I guess! Imagine in forty years time someone coming across an ancient CB500 to get running then coming across a completely dead forum with a bunch of useful information on it as well as all these problems from the past where people had to be creative about bodging this and that before they could just 3D print whatever they want etc etc!
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Sat 25 Nov 2017, 8:01 pm

well with the weather the way its been just recently I suppose bikes are the last thing on their mind no one likes being being cold and wet on their bikes , so we will have to see what next year brings and lets face it this summer (if you can call it that) has been crap its the least time I have ever spent riding this year since 1977 Crying or Very sad
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sat 25 Nov 2017, 8:23 pm

My self and james ride our cb's to work every day... i have too noticed forum has gone quite... maybe its cb's age and the climate and race series is killing road bikes.... there stil some cb500s on road in dublin but i guess as time goes on it be rare sight on road... i havent been in work since tuesday as i hurt my back...cb be heading to work monday if it not too icy
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Sat 25 Nov 2017, 9:26 pm

Yes. Silence.
Bike's in the shed, safely tucked away. Mostly because by now the salt lorries have come out. And I decidedly don't want to play with them!
However, I too have to get to work five days a week, so I'm relying on my 18 years old Citroën Xantia to bring me. Thing is; a car is a consumable. It will wear out and rust away with me unable to stop the decay no matter what I do. So, I've decided to spare my bike the suffering of salt and sludge.

Got a new chain kit the other day. Old one's done 60.000 km by now and at last repair (swinging arm bearings) it developed a tak-tak-noise indicating end-of-the-line. Something is giving in - replace.

Which is what I'll then spend time in the shed doing. Fiddling.
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Sat 25 Nov 2017, 10:21 pm

I think 30 years as a courier have earned me the right to ride when I please these days. If I could hibernate I'm sure I would.  Very Happy
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sat 25 Nov 2017, 10:24 pm

I was out playing yesterday, Wet, muddy, salty, 1°c and running squared off hypersport tyres. Not the most ideal for throttle therapy.

Setting off for work this morning it was -2°c. Nothing beats scraping the ice off the clocks and putting the heated grips on to melt the ice and your grips end up steaming which looks rather odd I must say.

I've also been slacking with my miles as well, only done 275ish in the last 6 days.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sat 25 Nov 2017, 10:34 pm

@skyrider wrote: so we will have to see what next year brings and lets face it this summer (if you can call it that) has been crap its the least time I have ever spent riding this year since 1977 Crying or Very sad

That's what you get for living in Lancashire,

yours hatefully,
a Yorkshire man
Wink
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sat 25 Nov 2017, 11:21 pm

You would want to Try dublin its like perment rain cloud.... boots jacket throusers drenched in fabsil
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Sun 26 Nov 2017, 4:26 pm

@Jameshambleton wrote:

@skyrider wrote: so we will have to see what next year brings and lets face it this summer (if you can call it that) has been crap its the least time I have ever spent riding this year since 1977 Crying or Very sad

That's what you get for living in Lancashire,

yours hatefully,
a Yorkshire man
Wink

yes and struggling with the work side of things as well not the greatest of weather for gardeners plus just recently had an x ray and been told I have arthritis in my shoulders ,as you say james the joys of living in lancs the only county they could spin thread without it snapping   Neutral
Crash- Elmit
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Post by Crash- Elmit on Sun 26 Nov 2017, 7:52 pm

I too use my bike daily to get to work.
last week it suddenly started blowing fuses, killing my rear light and indicators, not what you need on a busy dual carriageway. Found two chafed wires where the loom had rubbed across the top of the horn so cut out the chafed bit and replaced with tube crimps.
This was fine until Thursday when they started blowing again as soon as I switched on my lights. stripped front end down on Friday (bloody cold outside) and looked for another break but found nothing. With the wires out of the headlight shell all seemed fine and dandy but as soon as I but it all back together fuses blew again. although my shell is plastic I stuck a strip of velcro onto the back where the bulge is, put it all back together and now it all works again I still have no idea why it began blowing the fuse again though

muttley1
the 900
the 900

Post by muttley1 on Sun 26 Nov 2017, 11:26 pm

Been using mine for local trips and NEC day out (see other post).
Pretty busy where I live what with lots of new houses and the same worn out old roads. Nowt beats filtering past London escapees in their shiny lease cars as they wonder why its all gridlocked wherever they go.

Crash-E, I remember an ol' thread on electric fails and the guy (Greybeard?) had noticed his loom wearing through near/behind the plastic panels that sit below/behind the tank causing random fuse blowing etc. Might be worth a look?

I took the topbox of my "second" bike and it seems a lot less useful somehow even though I've a decent rucsack. Might be putting the box on soon.

muttley1
Crash- Elmit
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Post by Crash- Elmit on Mon 27 Nov 2017, 9:48 pm

found a two wire connector on the left side under the tank that was wet so that may have been the cause by shorting out. I have not looked in Hayes yet but the wires were blue/black and brown/green
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Tue 28 Nov 2017, 12:21 am

Sorry I've been so absent from here. I have popped my head in now and then but haven't posted for a while. I'll be honest and say that since acquiring my Firestorm my affections (and my riding) have mostly been with that, but I've started using the CB more to get to work for financial reasons but also because whenever I do ride it I remember what a lovely bike it is and why I have no intention of selling it!

I'll be riding it all through winter, that's for sure. So I'll try and help make this place not too quiet  Wink

Now that reminds me, the clutch is still a bit funny so I need to resurrect the thread I made about it a while back...

Who else rides theirs come rain or shine? The main issue I have is with the salt on the roads meaning that a chain replacement is almost always necessary come March or so.
tt fan
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by tt fan on Tue 28 Nov 2017, 11:28 am

I must echo what jchesshyre says, and apologise for not posting more in here. My blue cb500 has just been pressed back into service for the winter after a fling with a cbf1000 for the summer. I do still see a couple of other 500's around Cambs. This is a great forum - the characters and the information - it'd be a shame to lose it! I will try and contribute more..
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 28 Nov 2017, 6:36 pm

I've been riding a bit less for two reasons, neither to do with the weather:

1. My work has moved closer to my house so I can cycle (which, sadly, is always cheaper than using a motorbike). I also need the exercise....

and more recently

2. I sliced up my hand/finger (while crashing bicycle!) so can't ride or drive anything for a while as I can't really grip the handlebars/brake levers/steering wheel very well right now.
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider Yesterday at 2:40 pm

and I have been hibernating this week, the weather around here has been rubbish we have had hailstones,strong wind,  frost, and  rain we haven't had snow yet but it will be on its way somewhere, hope its better next week and get something done
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine Yesterday at 5:32 pm

Yeah weather's been stupidly crap here. I'm used to much milder winters - there was *one*, back in oooh, 2010-11, where it hit -16 here. But that was a total one-off. Normally it's dry and well above freezing 90% of the time. This is Hull / York area btw. Most of the rain has spent itself when crossing the Pennines, and because we're close to the coast that also means the most inclement elements tend to pass us by. It's been great. I've done tons of miles these passed few years. But shit - the last few weeks have been really crap. Without a decent dose of motorcycular mayhem every few days I start to get a bit stir crazy. Razz Mad scratch geek
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider Yesterday at 5:37 pm

right and that's not good , and right now the fog has started rolling in a bit like the film by john carpenter
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine Yesterday at 5:45 pm

Wow I was really disappointed by that film. It was supposed to be loosely based on the novel of the same name by James Herbert iirc. Which was ace - e.g. that one scene where the public school teacher gets his knob sheared off by that crazed pupil. I appreciate that would be hard to recreate in the medium of film, but even so. Smile
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider Yesterday at 5:51 pm

was that the first version or the second you saw
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine Yesterday at 6:05 pm

First - or anyway, it was back in the mid '80s iirc.

I'm thinking it was John Carpenter. Need to google.
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider Yesterday at 6:08 pm

the first one is the best with Jamie le Curtis and janet leigh
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer Yesterday at 7:07 pm

@eternally_troubled wrote:... more recently

2. I sliced up my hand/finger (while crashing bicycle!) so can't ride or drive anything for a while

Avoid pushbikes at all costs! I've had one throw me off at 30 mph. No fun at all!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 17 Dec 2017, 6:19 am