Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, ride safe! The CB500Club team

engine oil again ... 5w30 semi

geewhizz
the 900
the 900

engine oil again ... 5w30 semi

Post by geewhizz on Fri 17 Nov 2017, 8:46 pm

this time I'm asking has anyone used or can they see any real issues using 5w30 semi synthetic in their cb? I just bought a mk1 focus and that what it takes. Obviously if I could do a job lot on the engine oil that would be nice. Both need a service shortly so will stick to the book with the car oil as that scares me more than the cb.  Will order 10w40 for the cb if I need to tho....The cb is worth looking after, after all. 

Thanks G
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Re: engine oil again ... 5w30 semi

Post by ANDYC on Sat 18 Nov 2017, 4:43 pm

You can run 5-30 in the cb500 it won't do it any harm.
They are really the operating temperature parameters. The lower number being the lower temperature and the higher one, you guessed it the upper temperature that it operates happily in. As we don't live in the Arctic or the Sahara you can use it.
You can also use 10-40 in the Focus without any need to worry.
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Post by geewhizz on Sat 18 Nov 2017, 5:28 pm

cheers Andy
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sat 18 Nov 2017, 7:05 pm

I was going to say something similar... but Andy probably actually knows!
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Post by geewhizz on Sat 18 Nov 2017, 8:17 pm

don't put yourself down ET, a little bit of conjecture goes a long way.
GollyGosh
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by GollyGosh on Wed 06 Dec 2017, 11:08 am

I felt I had to revive this post.

I've been translating another French article on the CB500.  One thing that came up was the increased wear when they changed from Honda Oil to a cheaper substitute. The Honda oil had molybendum disulphate (MD) added that improved the performance of the oil. 

For whatever reason Honda oil is available everywhere except the UK so that led me to do some research on engine oil and what would be a good substitute.

One thing that came up was the difference in engine oil for cars and bikes.  I.e. the amount of  MD added.  Motorcycle oil has less added because of the wet clutch system.  The reason being that MD bonds with metal parts providing a slippery surface and reducing wear so using car engine oil with greater amounts would eventually cause clutch slip.

There are other differences in oil formulation for bikes due to high revving engines and other torture the oil is subject to.

Here is one site discussing this - https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/13kbcx/motorcycle_oil/

Still don't know what oil to use apart from the grade (I am a noob)... scratch
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 06 Dec 2017, 7:58 pm

IMO Almost any 10W40 (or similar) semi-synth oil will be fine; if you want something special then you might have to spend more (castrol etc).
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Wed 06 Dec 2017, 8:36 pm

I dont know about uk but in ireland halfrauds are selling fully synthetic 5/30  4litres for 18euro....but no semi synthic deals

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 17 Dec 2017, 6:22 am