You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

Winter lever savers

Jameshambleton

Winter lever savers

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 14 Nov 2017, 11:14 am

After somewhat dropping my bike twice and smashing the brake lever both times I've purchased some of these. Since on Sunday I lost the front a few times on black ice and the rear spun up a few times in the grit, thought I may as well get them purchased as they're cheaper than the cost of a lever.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162489918304

They should be good for protecting the levers from any impacts and they're used in racing to stop the front brake getting hit and locking up the front.
ZekeVal
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Re: Winter lever savers

Post by ZekeVal on Tue 14 Nov 2017, 5:43 pm

Looks sweet! 

Having already dropped the bike a few times and changed a brake lever, that may be an interesting option for me (though I keep trying to persuade myself I will drop the bike less and less with experience ...).

Keep us posted Wink
fgclark123
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by fgclark123 on Tue 14 Nov 2017, 9:51 pm

reminds me of this winterising solution...

https://youtu.be/WNheBRCyXVQ?list=PL1lT21e7g7BWQmVW30A9RgzrynLeOHTrV&t=570

watch out for the bloody ice!
Busby
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by Busby on Thu 16 Nov 2017, 1:03 pm

ICE! what is this? never happens in sunny Mallorca, however rain affects the roads here just like ice! Never go out locally when it rains, Torvill & Dean never experienced Spanish roads in the rain! Go carefully in the UK! Busby
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 23 Nov 2017, 4:08 pm

Turns out they're a load of junk. The parts that go around the lever are plastic and bend. The bolts are too long for screwing into the bar ends and the lever guards aren't long enough in the first place.
ZekeVal
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by ZekeVal on Thu 23 Nov 2017, 4:29 pm

That's a shame, was too good to be true !
Crash- Elmit
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by Crash- Elmit on Sun 26 Nov 2017, 7:59 pm

I have just bought a spare set of brake and clutch levers ready for winter spills. they are by a company called Baileys and co.Just under a fiver each with free postage and they seem to be of good quality
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 26 Nov 2017, 8:13 pm

@Crash- Elmit wrote:I have just bought a spare set of brake and clutch levers ready for winter spills. they are by a company called Baileys and co.Just under a fiver each with free postage and they seem to be of good quality

I found that with pattern levers that they make the brake light come on at 50+mph as they don't fit the brake switch properly.
motofan
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by motofan on Sat 16 Dec 2017, 10:59 pm

Hi there, am I too late in this conversation? Try the old trials trick of simply slackening the lever clamps until the levers can be turned round on the bar with firm pressure but they do not move under normal use. If the levers then touch the ground they should pivot, not break, it's what I did on my trail bikes.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 19 Jun 2018, 4:13 am