You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

Oil leak trouble shooting

fgclark123
Rossi
Rossi

Oil leak trouble shooting

Post by fgclark123 on Thu 09 Nov 2017, 11:43 am

Hi lal,

I got back from a long ride the other day. The next day, I see the bike has leaked all the oil out over the drive. Basically, I guess this could be really bad news, or just average bad news. What's the next steps to figure out the problem?

See pics attached - to my eye nothing seems too bad, but you can see some brown/gold oil drips there.

It's just a bit strange, and disappointing. This is a honda dammit, these things don't happen!

Thanks

https://imgur.com/a/C8OWI

Last edited by Jameshambleton on Thu 09 Nov 2017, 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Images fixed/added to post)
Jameshambleton

Re: Oil leak trouble shooting

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 09 Nov 2017, 12:40 pm

My guess would be the oil filter on the front - given the oil on the frame and the front sump fin that's the only place that from your images would suggest to me.
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Thu 09 Nov 2017, 4:49 pm

I would agree with James, jetwash it and you'll get a clearer view of where it's coming from rather than where it ends up.
fgclark123
Rossi
Rossi

Post by fgclark123 on Thu 09 Nov 2017, 5:36 pm

thanks, will take a closer look.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 09 Nov 2017, 7:07 pm

I'm going to put my vote in for the oil filter too. It should only be installed hand-tight so it is worth giving it a check.

It could be that the sealing face wasn't cleaned properly before the filter was installed - this easily fixed by removal, cleaning and re-installation.

It is also possible that the filter has gained a stone hole - it is right at the front and can happen.

fgclark123
Rossi
Rossi

Post by fgclark123 on Fri 10 Nov 2017, 4:43 pm

Yep, there's a large dent about an inch in diameter, right on the underside of the filter. Clunk. I even heard something go when on the road.

I even have the fender extender on - it's a shoddy piece of design that, Honda dropping the ball for once.

New filter enroute, thanks people.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Fri 10 Nov 2017, 6:36 pm

@fgclark123 wrote:Honda dropping the ball for once.

Work on an rc24 vfr750 and you've got no idea how bad they were. The frame is longer on one side than the other by about 40mm, The headlight bracket isn't symmetrical and the rear subframe rails are at completely different angles, and the swingarm pins lock in different ways and are completely different diameters
/rant
Look at the angle of the rails on the subframe

/rant /rant
fgclark123
Rossi
Rossi

Post by fgclark123 on Fri 10 Nov 2017, 11:05 pm

Nice looking project! I think I'll stick to replacing duff oil filters for now... possibly with some armour plating added on. To leave such a critical component exposed like that beggars belief.
ZekeVal
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by ZekeVal on Sat 11 Nov 2017, 8:07 am

@fgclark123 wrote:Nice looking project! I think I'll stick to replacing duff oil filters for now... possibly with some armour plating added on. To leave such a critical component exposed like that beggars belief.

Well, I just think you got really unlucky, there are many motorcycles with the oil filter located here with no issue whatsoever. It's actually the first time I hear and witness of such a thing happening.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 23 Jan 2018, 3:51 pm