You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

Hello

swordheart

Hello

Post by swordheart on Mon 06 Nov 2017, 6:56 pm

Hello all, I have just bought a CB500S and thought I would join this forum only to find I had joined it in 2011 and I can't remember why !!!!
Ah well with age comes wisdom ( not to mention bad memory ) so I went and got my CB500S, I'm a little underwhelmed with it to be honest ( my last bike was a Honda Hornet 600 ) I was originally looking at getting a 125 Varadero cheap to run and cheap to insure but then found out not cheap to insure the CB500 is cheaper go figure that one out. Anyway I am looking forward to looking through the forum and posting as and when Smile
Forgot to mention I couldn't find a new members thread.
Fair Weather Rider
the 800
the 800

Re: Hello

Post by Fair Weather Rider on Mon 06 Nov 2017, 7:10 pm

New members Introduce themselves in the water cooler.
Welcome to the site, sorry to here that you are underwhelmed with the CB5, but you can't expect it to go as well as a Hornet.
swordheart

Post by swordheart on Mon 06 Nov 2017, 7:22 pm

Hello thanks, took me an age to find my post to reply lol.
Yeah I know, I suppose all bikes have their little quirks the Hornet was a swine for having a small tank and having to refill every 100 miles, I got horrible feeling I got a duffer though at low revs its pretty lumpy and only seems to move with any smoothness when revs are up at 4/5000, but I had my first ride today so maybe I need to get used to it  Smile
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 06 Nov 2017, 7:48 pm

A belated welcome to the site, I sneakily moved your thread into the right area just after you posted it Wink
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Mon 06 Nov 2017, 9:33 pm

Welcome to forum.... ive a fireblade and i ride my two cb 500's  alot more.... cb 500 a revy beast... ride it like a two stroke.... its lumpy  and vibey at low revs  or too low gear and not fully warm...at first.... its also a parallel twin... i dont ride slow and both cbs give very good mpg... ive also had cbr 600f's which have detuned hornet engine.... great honda engine too...
skyerae
Running out of unique names
Running out of unique names

Post by skyerae on Tue 07 Nov 2017, 6:18 am

Hi There and welcome to you. I also feel underwhelmed when I ride the CB after extended use of the VFR800, but then I realise the low weight is a huge advantage and that you really have to work the CB hard. It does really need the higher rev ranges - I ride the bike like I have stolen it and she seems to be happy to comply. Just about an indestructible engine as well - I abuse engines and this keeps on going, and going............
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 07 Nov 2017, 6:50 am

Yep, it will take time to get used to it! I'd advise the 'ride it like you stole it' advice above Smile

What I can tell you with certainty is that the CB500 goes better (much better) than a Varadero 125, so I think you made the right choice.

The CB500 really doesn't work below about 3k/4k - it is a small twin! The power delivery is less linear than an inline four, hence you will need to up the revs to get to the power.
swordheart

Post by swordheart on Tue 07 Nov 2017, 8:10 pm

Thanks for the welcomes

"Ride it like you stole it"  Laughing
I know what you mean yep that seems right. I've always liked the look of the CB500 and hope to get mine back to original condition but there might be lots of questions a coming on here if you don't mind  Smile
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Wed 08 Nov 2017, 2:49 pm

Welcome Swordheart! Smile
As mentioned, give it plenty of beans and you will be rewarded Twisted Evil

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 16 Aug 2018, 8:46 am