You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

Sump removal

louis_sutton
the 800
the 800

Sump removal

Post by louis_sutton on Sun 05 Nov 2017, 10:38 pm

Anyone know if you can remove the sump without taking anything else off?
Jameshambleton

Re: Sump removal

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 05 Nov 2017, 10:43 pm

Yes and no, you might have to remove the exhaust for clearance. If not then you might have to remove the strainer from the inside of the engine. It's simple just pull it down and it comes off. It's held inplace using an O ring so you'll be easily be able to remove and fit it - though you shouldn't have to it's just worth knowing about.

If your sump doesn't have a gasket fitted it's not something to worry about as some years of bike didn't have a gasket fitted to them from the factory.
louis_sutton
the 800
the 800

Post by louis_sutton on Sun 05 Nov 2017, 10:49 pm

Great stuff, thanks. I'd rather not touch the exhaust, don't want anything else to go wrong! (Drain plug threads are stripped). Wasn't even close to the right torque, what joy
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Mon 06 Nov 2017, 1:13 pm

Food for thought, you could try a Helicoil, save a lot of grief. Here's a video showing it done on a Hayabasu (!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6bsOqVATLo
louis_sutton
the 800
the 800

Post by louis_sutton on Mon 06 Nov 2017, 2:47 pm

Thanks teamster. I was thinking helicoil, but doing it in situ looks fairly tricky. I'd hoped the sump would come off ok. Having seen the bolts, this might be a challenge. I'm going to have a crack with a six point socket, penetrating oil and heat first. Then tackle the headers if I have to. Many opportunities for balls ups I think.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 07 Nov 2017, 7:29 am

Many possibilities for cockup, indeed Smile however, on the bright side, your bike will be in a lot better state when you have finished!

I never really like the idea of drilling and tapping a hole without being able to clean up all the swarf - some will end up in the engine - now you can clean it up by flushing the engine, but you might not get everything!

It is also a lot easier to drill the hole when the sump is upside down in front of you rather than upside down under the bike.
louis_sutton
the 800
the 800

Post by louis_sutton on Tue 07 Nov 2017, 9:34 am

I do love a bright side. Eleven out of twelve bolts out. The last one gave me the finger so I'm pondering that (minimal access without pulling the headers. And that looks like another horror story). It would be an opportunity for new headers i suppose!

Might just grind the head off with a dremel, pull the pan and remove the bolt with mole grips.
louis_sutton
the 800
the 800

Post by louis_sutton on Tue 07 Nov 2017, 11:32 pm

louis_sutton
the 800
the 800

Post by louis_sutton on Tue 07 Nov 2017, 11:33 pm

Well that was lucky. 

When did they stop using gaskets in the sump, anyone know the year?
louis_sutton
the 800
the 800

Post by louis_sutton on Tue 07 Nov 2017, 11:57 pm

Oh, and for posterity (or anyone in a similar position down the road...)

My bike is a 2000 CB500S, OEM headers.

You can remove the sump pan without shifting the exhaust.  Useful if it looks like something out of Dante, as mine does.

Your problem will be the state of the bolt heads.  A six point socket, soaking and a bit of care did for 8 out of the 12 bolts for me.  Four of the bolts have minimal access due to the exhaust - means a spanner.  I found a tiny bit of heat, soaking, and holding a spanner tightly on the head whilst tapping the other end of the spanner gently and frequently with a small hammer started it moving nicely.

One bolt gave me the finger - the trickiest one, rear right bolt.  Two dremel heads and eighty minutes later, it all came off nicely.  Needless to say I'm not a quick spanner!

Right, now to find someone to helicoil it in the local area.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 08 Nov 2017, 9:34 am

@louis_sutton wrote:Well that was lucky. 

When did they stop using gaskets in the sump, anyone know the year?

IIRC the 94 and 95 didn't use a gasket, 96 onwards use a gasket.
louis_sutton
the 800
the 800

Post by louis_sutton on Wed 08 Nov 2017, 10:16 am

Ah, many thanks, was slightly confused by a post on her suggesting later models ceased to use gaskets, whilst lings parts fiche suggests I need one (not that they've got any)
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 09 Nov 2017, 4:16 pm

I've got a gasket, sump and sump plug for sale, make me an offer

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 20 Jul 2018, 12:22 am