Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Removing brake pads cb500 1995

MegaChops

Removing brake pads cb500 1995

Post by MegaChops on Thu 02 Nov 2017, 6:52 pm

Hi All, 

I have purchased a caliper rebuild kit for my 95 CB500 (nisin brakes) so was going to strip down, clean and rebuild my caliper but I've got stuck on the first hurdle. I cant for the life of me remove the screw that holds in the brake pads. 

I've tried all different ways, including attaching a flathead screwdriver bit to a socket wrench. I've coated with WD40 and left overnight. I've heated up with a heatgun and the bugger wont come out. I'm worries about damaging the screw, it does slip when I'm trying really hard

Any suggestions or is it Garage time?

Thanks

Last edited by MegaChops on Thu 02 Nov 2017, 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : missing words)
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Re: Removing brake pads cb500 1995

Post by ANDYC on Thu 02 Nov 2017, 9:30 pm

The slotted  screw is just a blanking plug to protect the main pin which has a socket type head. The thread is very fine which is very easily damaged. 
It would be better to sacrifice the blanking plug than the thread if it comes to that, as that would be easy to replace.
MegaChops

Post by MegaChops on Thu 02 Nov 2017, 9:51 pm

@ANDYC wrote:The slotted  screw is just a blanking plug to protect the main pin which has a socket type head. The thread is very fine which is very easily damaged. 
It would be better to sacrifice the blanking plug than the thread if it comes to that, as that would be easy to replace

Thanks. Do you think I should just try more force then and not be to worried about rounding it off?
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Thu 02 Nov 2017, 10:30 pm

As long as the thread isn't damaged.
MegaChops

Post by MegaChops on Fri 03 Nov 2017, 10:48 pm

Still not shifting, I have it booked in to a garage on Tuesday. Thanks for your help dude

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 21 Nov 2017, 11:01 pm