Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Headlight problem

trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Headlight problem

Post by trevor machine on Tue 24 Oct 2017, 9:18 am

Eh up guys - see what you make of this.

As the nights have drawn in a bit, I've found myself riding in the dark a lot more. Two things I've noticed - one is that my speedo's bulbs have gone. Secondly, my headlight seems far, far dimmer than I ever remember it being.

On closer inspection I notice that I can move the angle of the headlight by hand - which I was a bit surprised by. I thought it would be tighter in the bracket. Perhaps it's allowed a certain amount of movement. At any rate, I tried to tighten the two main bolts that secure it to the bracket - but theses don't tighten beyond a certain point before they continue to turn without actually fastening the light any more securely. Again, this might well be by design.

But here's the thing. I don't actually think the light is particularly dim - rather, I reckon it's simply not aimed highly enough. In short, it's beam is just too dipped. If I reach over and lift its angle slightly as I'm going along, it illuminates much more of the road ahead - not surprisingly, I know! But this is much less than if I turn it onto full beam. In other words, could it be that the damn thing is just angled too low? And if so, how do I make it point up slightly?
Jameshambleton

Re: Headlight problem

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 24 Oct 2017, 10:39 am

IIRC you'll need t10 or t8 capless bulbs, can be found on wemoto.

As for the headlight, there is a massive nut on the inside of the headlight (both sides) so if tightened correctly then there will be no movement of the headlight at all. It sounds like your nuts have been crossthreaded or someone has bodged it and not used the oem nuts -  they have a rectangular flange to them to hold then within the inner recess.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Tue 24 Oct 2017, 5:12 pm

Cheers James.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 21 Nov 2017, 11:03 pm