Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Riding position cb500

Mookev

Riding position cb500

Post by Mookev on Sat 14 Oct 2017, 3:04 pm

I am thinking about buying a late 1990s cb500 to compliment my Yamaha diversion 900. I am concerned the riding position may be a bit too sporty for me. I would welcome your opinions. As yet I haven't found one near enough to view or ride (torbay Devon) Thanks Kevin
GollyGosh
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Re: Riding position cb500

Post by GollyGosh on Sat 14 Oct 2017, 3:21 pm

I can't compare riding positions but read the MCN review HERE

There is a pic on the righthand side of a rider pretty much sat upright.
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Sat 14 Oct 2017, 3:37 pm

Riding position is similar to the 900 but will just feel half the weight of the 900.
Mookev

Post by Mookev on Sat 14 Oct 2017, 5:26 pm

Sounds good!
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Sat 14 Oct 2017, 5:59 pm

How tall are you?
ceejay
the 900
the 900

Post by ceejay on Sat 14 Oct 2017, 6:47 pm

Someone posted this site before (cant remember who) but it's good.

http://cycle-ergo.com/

If you add your Diversion then the CB500 they are not massively dissimilar riding position wise
Mookev

Post by Mookev on Sat 14 Oct 2017, 7:09 pm

Thank you, what an excellent site
Mookev

Post by Mookev on Sat 14 Oct 2017, 7:11 pm

I'm 5ft 8"
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Sat 14 Oct 2017, 7:31 pm

@Mookev wrote:I'm 5ft 8"

Ah. You're only a wee lad then, so you shouldn't have to alter the seat. Cool
Mookev

Post by Mookev on Sat 14 Oct 2017, 7:46 pm

Llewelyn1965
the 900
the 900

Post by Llewelyn1965 on Sat 14 Oct 2017, 11:17 pm

@Mookev wrote:I am thinking about buying a  late 1990s cb500 to compliment my Yamaha diversion 900. I am concerned the riding position may be a bit too sporty for me. I would welcome your opinions. As yet I haven't found one near enough to view or ride (torbay Devon)  Thanks Kevin
I'm 5'6. Whilst I didn't find the riding position very sporty, I wanted a more upright riding position. I have weak shoulders and wrists and I'm a bit of a fat bap!!!.  I changed the handlebars so they could be adjusted backwards further and also put a dog leg riser on the handlebar mount. I had to get longer cables made to account for the longer distance between grips and clutch/throttle, but I now have a lovely riding position for me. If you send me your email address I can send you a couple of pics.

Regards,
Llew

muttley1
the 900
the 900

Post by muttley1 on Sun 15 Oct 2017, 10:22 am

Give this site a try! http://cycle-ergo.com/
skyerae
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by skyerae on Mon 16 Oct 2017, 6:33 am

As I am 6'2 I look like grasshopper crammed on top of the CB. Still enjoy it though it feels like my knees are somewhere up around my ears.  Looking forward to being back on it today, it has been off the road for about a few weeks when I changed the rear tyre (again) and got a free weekend to get it back on and set it all up again. The drum brakes make it a little more involved, for sure. My VFR is now in the shed and will probably live in there until biking season next year as MR Farmer is so busy covering all the roads in rural Aberdeenshire  with mud, not too bothered about sliding off on the CB but the VFR will cost muchos money to sort out.
Mookev

Post by Mookev on Mon 16 Oct 2017, 9:25 am

Excellent. In love older bikes and I have had my diversion900 15 years it has now done 86000 miles. I fancy a smaller but enjoyable bike like the CB500. My son has one some years ago and loved it. The hunt is on!
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Mon 16 Oct 2017, 2:16 pm

Fwiw, the only slight thing I'd want to change about the bike's ergonomics is the distance from seat to peg. I get a bit cramped in the hips sometimes - seat to bars is fine, and I do like being able to flat-foot easily (I'm about 5' 11"). I also like the psychological vibe of extra confidence on a small-ish, light-ish bike. It obviously isn't a "fast" bike - but quite often it's as much fun to ride as something faster for the simple reason that it feels easy to bully and chuck about. I did about 400 miles this weekend, because the local roads were so dry, and the weather so mild. Ragged it all over the wolds on Saturday, east of York. Then on Sunday headed down into north Lincs, around the Cadwell area - Caistor, Horncastle, Louth and so on. There're some incredible roads out that way - quiet, well-surfaced and with some lovely, elongated elevation changes and 'readable' corners. I did miss the comfier, plusher ride of the zx9r by the time I got home though.
hh_12345
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by hh_12345 on Mon 16 Oct 2017, 9:42 pm

@trevor machine wrote:Fwiw, the only slight thing I'd want to change about the bike's ergonomics is the distance from seat to peg. I get a bit cramped in the hips sometimes - seat to bars is fine, and I do like being able to flat-foot easily (I'm about 5' 11"). I also like the psychological vibe of extra confidence on a small-ish, light-ish bike. It obviously isn't a "fast" bike - but quite often it's as much fun to ride as something faster for the simple reason that it feels easy to bully and chuck about. I did about 400 miles this weekend, because the local roads were so dry, and the weather so mild. Ragged it all over the wolds on Saturday, east of York. Then on Sunday headed down into north Lincs, around the Cadwell area - Caistor, Horncastle, Louth and so on. There're some incredible roads out that way - quiet, well-surfaced and with some lovely, elongated elevation changes and 'readable' corners. I did miss the comfier, plusher ride of the zx9r by the time I got home though.

Recently came across this video where they install  offset pegs that seem to increase the seat to peg distance:

https://youtu.be/BNYz6gNGbXI?t=241
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Tue 17 Oct 2017, 9:07 pm

@hh_12345 wrote:

@trevor machine wrote:Fwiw, the only slight thing I'd want to change about the bike's ergonomics is the distance from seat to peg. I get a bit cramped in the hips sometimes - seat to bars is fine, and I do like being able to flat-foot easily (I'm about 5' 11"). I also like the psychological vibe of extra confidence on a small-ish, light-ish bike. It obviously isn't a "fast" bike - but quite often it's as much fun to ride as something faster for the simple reason that it feels easy to bully and chuck about. I did about 400 miles this weekend, because the local roads were so dry, and the weather so mild. Ragged it all over the wolds on Saturday, east of York. Then on Sunday headed down into north Lincs, around the Cadwell area - Caistor, Horncastle, Louth and so on. There're some incredible roads out that way - quiet, well-surfaced and with some lovely, elongated elevation changes and 'readable' corners. I did miss the comfier, plusher ride of the zx9r by the time I got home though.

Recently came across this video where they install  offset pegs that seem to increase the seat to peg distance:

https://youtu.be/BNYz6gNGbXI?t=241

Interesting! ; - )

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 21 Nov 2017, 10:59 pm