Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Cruise control aka choke?

fgclark123
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Cruise control aka choke?

Post by fgclark123 on Tue 10 Oct 2017, 11:06 pm

Just a thought - I realised I left the choke on slightly today, and was getting a constant push out of it.

So on a long empty straight country road, I edged the choke on full and maintained 30mph.

Obvious question - isthis daft - am I damaging anything, should I stop immediately?!

Thanks
Jameshambleton

Re: Cruise control aka choke?

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 10 Oct 2017, 11:08 pm

nope, the choke is just an enrichment circuit for extra petrol. Might help to fowl your plugs up a little as it's running ultra rich with minimal air.
ceejay
the 800
the 800

Post by ceejay on Tue 10 Oct 2017, 11:18 pm

Fuel mixture will be too rich, plugs would foul eventually I guess, as well as it being not exactly efficient... I'd personally do without the cruise control...

Edit: James beat me to it
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 10 Oct 2017, 11:26 pm

Good minds think alike.. so I'm worried about your mental well being @ceejay
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Tue 10 Oct 2017, 11:48 pm

Excessive fuelling tends to wash the lubricating oil off the cylinder walls and can result in rapid bore and piston ring wear.
Hcb
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by Hcb on Sat 14 Oct 2017, 10:29 am

A question. 

If you need to increase the fuel mixture (using a custom exhaust for example) ... Could we use the choke to improve performance 
without having to configure the carburetors?
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Sat 14 Oct 2017, 10:41 am

Not really unless there is a serious jetting issue with your carbs. 
A richer mixture will make less power than a lean mixture as it burns cooler and less efficiently. 
The leaner mixture has it's limits as it burns hotter and will burn out valves and pistons.
The choke or fuel enrichment circuit is only there to keep the revs a little higher on a cold engine to allow for the drag on thicker oil and to get a bit of heat to the plugs and combustion chambers. Once up to temperature the choke is redundant. To be quite honest engines are much more efficient these days and don't need a choke in normal temperatures.
Hcb
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by Hcb on Sat 14 Oct 2017, 12:09 pm

ANDYC wrote:Not really unless there is a serious jetting issue with your carbs. 
A richer mixture will make less power than a lean mixture as it burns cooler and less efficiently. 
The leaner mixture has it's limits as it burns hotter and will burn out valves and pistons.
The choke or fuel enrichment circuit is only there to keep the revs a little higher on a cold engine to allow for the drag on thicker oil and to get a bit of heat to the plugs and combustion chambers. Once up to temperature the choke is redundant. To be quite honest engines are much more efficient these days and don't need a choke in normal temperatures.

Thank you Andy.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 24 Oct 2017, 3:17 am