Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Help with MOT bits

MegaChops

Help with MOT bits

Post by MegaChops on Tue 10 Oct 2017, 5:31 pm

Hi Everyone, So my 1996 CB500 went in for her MOT today  but falied on 4 points, 2 of which I can sort myself

1) Binding front brake. Where should I start, do I just jump in and do a caliper service? Im pretty confident with this type of stuff (thought not done this before). I have already flushed new fluid it through it. Do I just follow a youtube guide?

2) Chain hitting the centre stand, the guy at the garage says its because I have an after market exhaust (which seems correct from what I have read on here). My plan is to just remove the centre stand, I dont really use it anyway. Can anyone tell me how I go about removing the centre stand?

3) Front light pointing upwards (I can easlily sort this)

4) Too large number plate, apparently it has a car one on it :/

Any help you guys can provide would be brill. Im planning on doing the work myself (The bike was in severe disrepair and Ive put 9 months work of work in to get this far)

Thanks
Fair Weather Rider
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Re: Help with MOT bits

Post by Fair Weather Rider on Tue 10 Oct 2017, 7:31 pm

Take the front Caliper off and push the pistons back, then pump them out again using the brake lever, being careful not to pop them right out, then see if they push back in easy, if they do your pistons are not seized, (you will have to take the top off the reservoir to allow fluid to flow back when you push pistons back) Secondly you may have a bent disc.
You will have to take silencer and link pipe off to knock the long pin out that holds centre stand on.
I would rather fit a stop on the stand to stop in hitting the chain, so useful to have a centre stand.
Never heard of a number plate being to big.
Happy days.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 10 Oct 2017, 9:01 pm

I'd just add that before you push the pistons back in it is worth pumping them out a bit and then giving them a good clean with brake cleaner and a clean rag/kitchen paper - clean them until they are really clean - this way you won't be forcing any dirt behind the seals.

If this doesn't cure the problem repeat the pumping out/pushing in. If that doesn't work then you have to take the caliper apart, clean behind the seals and clean/grease the slider pins - while you are there you might as well replace the seals and rubber slider pin boots.

Search for Delboys Garage on youtube - I'm sure he has a video on brake overhaul/cleaning....
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Tue 10 Oct 2017, 9:43 pm

The centre stand may just sit too high if the rubber bung is missing. 
If you check which way the centre stand pivot comes out before removing the silencer as mine always came out towards the side stand.
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Wed 11 Oct 2017, 4:24 pm

Most likely the slider pins on the front caliper, you my find that the carrier sliding pins are completely seized and need persuasion if they have not been cleaned and greased before. Not a terrible job, just needs patience and you may need to replace the rubbers. I guess yours will have the Nissin caliper being a '96, I've not worked on that as mine is a '97.

Re the centre stand, my exhaust came with a stop which bolted to the centre stand to prevent it travelling too far, maybe you could do something similar?

Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Wed 11 Oct 2017, 8:51 pm

You can improvise a simple stop for the centre stand using a standard car exhaust 'U' clamp and a flat piece of metal bolted to it.
MegaChops

Post by MegaChops on Thu 12 Oct 2017, 1:24 pm

Thanks All! Ill post if I get stuck

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 24 Oct 2017, 3:16 am