You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

New member from North Yorks.

gillers50
Squiddy
Squiddy

New member from North Yorks.

Post by gillers50 on Mon 09 Oct 2017, 7:19 pm

Hi everyone, 

Peter Gilby is my name and I have just grabbed myself a cb500. I have been a `biker' for over 40 years owning honda's of many sizes and a few old brit bikes mixed in. 

Currently, I have a 1954 Triumph Terrier which had been locked in a shed for over 25 years before I got hold of it. After 2 years work it is now fettled and is used for fun rides in good weather around the local villages. It soon became apparent that this was not a bike that I could ride for many miles at a time so having looked for something which I could get on, push a button and disappear on for a few hours - up popped this 2003 Honda.

Needs some work cosmetically and new shocks and tyres (don't know how old they are - near the limit anyway) but the engine etc. seems great, starts easily every time and only 11,800 genuine miles. MOT search confirms this.

I will be asking what you might think are silly questions and asking plenty of advice so please be patient with me.  I will post a pic of the 2 bikes as soon as I work out how to do it.

Cheers.
Jameshambleton

Re: New member from North Yorks.

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 09 Oct 2017, 7:25 pm

Hey Peter, small world... very small in fact.. I'm 15miles away from Ripon. Almost met my fate on the A61 melmerby junction a few weeks ago but anyway if you ever need a hand give me a shout - welcome to the forum! 
r1ncew1nd
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by r1ncew1nd on Tue 10 Oct 2017, 2:44 pm

Hi Peter

I'm also pretty new to the forum and a little further north of you in Bedlington, Northumberland.

11,800 miles! wow, it must still have a new bike smell :-)

Steve
gillers50
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by gillers50 on Wed 11 Oct 2017, 8:22 pm

Hi Steve,
I wish it had that new bike smell. It appears that on more than a couple occasions it has been neglected and not moved for 2 years. Stored in the open for long periods as well. Result is engine etc are fine but don't look very nice, stars first time but corroded screws etc and the dreaded engine mount bolt are a problem which I need to shift so I can remove the rusty engine protection bars.  Onwards and upwards.
Peter.
gillers50
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by gillers50 on Mon 27 Nov 2017, 7:50 pm

Finally got the time (and knowledge - thanks `gollygosh' ) to post pics of the bikes.

The 500 had a few surprises, cracked front disc, the eternal siezed front engine bolt, knackered shocks etc but now on the road to recovery.  2 weeks into the bolt removal but not yet there. 
The 2 together shows how much bigger bikes have got in 64 years. the little terrier has 47k on the clock, the 500 `only' 11,800ish.
Fair Weather Rider
the 900
the 900

Post by Fair Weather Rider on Tue 28 Nov 2017, 9:36 am

Hi Gillers, welcome to the Forum, that Terrier must have been the forerunner of the Tiger Cub, very nice.
I see you have a blue CB, they are the fastest.
I have to do my front engine bolt at some point and am dreading it, someone has already had a go and broken a bit of ally off the casing, so gently does it.
But I enjoy fiddling with mine as much as riding it.

Happy Days
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 28 Nov 2017, 6:49 pm

Cool! Looks like a CB500 in 'standard' condition Smile I would suggest that putting (a little) penetrating oil (or similar) around the mounting bolt every time you use the bike is a good start to getting it out.

It won't be easy but you will do it in the end Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 21 Oct 2018, 5:52 pm