Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

How Many Left ?

Poll

Is this post

[ 3 ]
100% [100%] 
[ 0 ]
0% [0%] 
[ 0 ]
0% [0%] 

Total Votes: 3
GollyGosh
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

How Many Left ?

Post by GollyGosh on Sat 07 Oct 2017, 10:25 pm

Being a first time owner and novice I've been doing a bit of research into CB500 and CB500S

Thought you might be interested in some statistics.

The following tables show the numbers of cb5's that were taxed or SORN in Q4 2016 listed by year of first registration.

CB500

CB500S

The 'Unknown' are Northern Ireland figures which didn't record date of first registration (or possibly imports with unverified date of manufacture).

NOTE: these are DVLA figures and do not account for bikes that were in storage and have not been taxed since the introduction of SORN in 2007

The numbers peaked in 2004 when there were a total of 3,204 CB500's and 2,057 CB500S's on the road (+ ?? untaxed for winter).

Q2 2017
There are 2,310 CB500's taxed or SORN suggesting 27 have come out long term storage.
There are 1,568 CB500S's taxed or SORN suggesting 20 have come out long term storage.

What I can't find is actual year on year sales figure.  Anyone know?
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Re: How Many Left ?

Post by wornsprokets on Sat 07 Oct 2017, 10:57 pm

There quite few cb 500 1997 models left..according to your list...  i think cb 500 race series  has eaten alot of road models and spares..(200 race bikes so i hear).theres a few left in ireland but of robus engine...there quite hacked and very few clean bikes left...even the 19k cb500s i have had issues its down to italian iffy build quality...and . my dad taught it was resprayed... but even original paint isnt great... down to budget price i guess
l.t.racing
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by l.t.racing on Sat 07 Oct 2017, 11:50 pm

Yes due to the race class which now you will see lot less road bikes for sale, and spare parts price are going up. 
Will hold my hands up and i have 4 for track use, plus spare frame, and spare set of wheels for each bike, apart from one bike.  The race class start of year there would of been about 80 bikes on grid, if most had a spare bike. Then all the other race bikes that are parked up or in bits. I wassaying other dayi feel for the road lads due to the race class making parts harder to get
GollyGosh
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by GollyGosh on Sun 08 Oct 2017, 4:13 pm

I hope you racers don't send the CB5's the same way as the Dodo. affraid 

Well with 5k on the clock and as long as I keep my shiny side up hopefully I won't need to worry about spares for a while. Smile
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 08 Oct 2017, 4:31 pm

My bike did less than 200 miles in 7 years, and it was riddled with issues from none use. Which ultimately ended up with a dropped valve.
GollyGosh
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by GollyGosh on Sun 08 Oct 2017, 4:37 pm

Jameshambleton wrote:My bike did less than 200 miles in 7 years, and it was riddled with issues from none use. Which ultimately ended up with a dropped valve.

Fair comment

Any particular areas I should be concerned about / check?
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 08 Oct 2017, 5:08 pm

GollyGosh wrote:
Jameshambleton wrote:My bike did less than 200 miles in 7 years, and it was riddled with issues from none use. Which ultimately ended up with a dropped valve.
Fair comment

Any particular areas I should be concerned about / check?

Bearings of any sort. Get the front end dropped out and get them loose ball bearings greased up at the very least, they'll bite you if you don't. Cables too get them replaced, clutch and throttle cables. Speedo should be good for an oiling but have a spare one in stock at the very least.

Front engine mounting bolt will be seized in and the front engine spacers are made out of alloy and they will at some point crumble. The issue with this is that you risk cracking the engine mounting point!!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 24 Oct 2017, 1:04 am