You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

Hi from Lincolnshire

GollyGosh
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Hi from Lincolnshire

Post by GollyGosh on Thu 05 Oct 2017, 9:46 pm

Hi everybody,

Just bought myself a 1994 CB500.  It's a case of cart before the horse or more precisely bike before the license.  Unlike the wife (SWMBO) it was love at first sight and rather than a life of regret I bought it before somebody else did.

Since buying it I've passed my CBT but being an old git that didn't change to a photo ID license and having a passport that has expired so cannot progress any further to an A license until I fork out some cash to get my ugly mug on a government database.

No license, no insurance so I can't ride Huwy (that's his name) so I'm having lessons on a bike school bike first.  Probably just as well as It's multiple decades since the last time I rode a bike and that was when you could ride a 250cc with a car license, L plates and a helmet.  Yes helmets were compulsory then, I'm not that old.

Enough about you, what about the bike? I heard someone say.

Well as I said, it is a 1994 with one previous owner and only 5,049 miles on the clock. I checked on the .gov MOT history site and it's genuine.  Nearly continual MOT history and has done only 240 miles since November 2005. Before you think the crafty so'n'so detached the speedo cable click the link below for pics.

edit:
I have removed the link
At the third attempt to post this I spotted a hard to read message saying I can't post external links for 7 days.  Embarassed

But then I found another way Very Happy

Dealer photo's but looks just as good in real life.  Hopefully you agree with me that its pukka.  It's not totally mint there are a couple of places the previous owner couldn't get his cleaning rag to such as inside of the of the rear chrome springs. There is some surface rust on the rear drum brake support/strut? and some bare metal parts going a bit grey in that area as well.  Otherwise excellent and original.

In some respects I'm glad it's not a fresh from the factory concours specimen I would be too afraid to spoil it.  I wan't to ride it for leisure and pleasure. 

The old fella deserves it (the bike as well).

If you have read it all to this point I hope I haven't bored you. Sleep

Thanks for having a community

Vive Le CB500 Club

Last edited by GollyGosh on Thu 05 Oct 2017, 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
ZekeVal
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Re: Hi from Lincolnshire

Post by ZekeVal on Sat 07 Oct 2017, 8:30 am

Hi and Welcome here!
Nice write up.

And that's a sweet looking bike, showroom standard  Shocked, don't think there are many cbs left like that!
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Sat 07 Oct 2017, 11:14 am

Welcome to you, that is a beauty! I can understand the mileage now seeing the photos, it's mint!
GollyGosh
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by GollyGosh on Sat 07 Oct 2017, 11:19 am

@ZekeVal wrote: don't think there are many cbs left like that!

Hi ZekeVal,

I looked on howmanyleft.co.uk which uses DVLA data and of the cb5's first registered in 1994 there is only 1 taxed and 2 SORN. There may be others that were stored and untaxed prior to SORN being introduced 10 years ago (or in museums Smile )

I'm going to extract the data for all years and post. It may be of interest to other owners.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sat 07 Oct 2017, 11:34 am

Wow!  What a cracker!

It's like the antithesis of my bike - no rust, low mileage and well painted.

I'm sure you'll have fun on it once you pass your test.  My wife has just passed her tests to get a full licence - she had a bit of a head start as she'd been riding a 125 for about the last 4 years, so don't feel too bad if it takes a little while to get the hang of things.

You'll certainly have to keep us updated with the progress of your licence.
Llewelyn1965
the 900
the 900

2 here

Post by Llewelyn1965 on Sat 07 Oct 2017, 11:57 pm

@GollyGosh wrote:

@ZekeVal wrote: don't think there are many cbs left like that!

I have 2 1994 ones. One is a parts bike and the other is sorned waiting to have work done for it's MOT.

Hi ZekeVal,

I looked on howmanyleft.co.uk which uses DVLA data and of the cb5's first registered in 1994 there is only 1 taxed and 2 SORN. There may be others that were stored and untaxed prior to SORN being introduced 10 years ago (or in museums Smile )

I'm going to extract the data for all years and post. It may be of interest to other owners.
cj haughey
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by cj haughey on Sun 08 Oct 2017, 7:34 am

Love the write up and am in the same boat here as bike before the licence.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sun 08 Oct 2017, 1:37 pm

Cb 500 a great bike to learn on ...or come back to after a long time off a bike...you be in safe hands with a cb 500
Fair Weather Rider
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Post by Fair Weather Rider on Sun 08 Oct 2017, 3:07 pm

Welcome Golly, lovely looking bike.
rick1
Squiddy
Squiddy

Ref. Hi from Lincolnshire

Post by rick1 on Tue 28 Nov 2017, 4:04 pm

Great looking bike , best I've seen. Welcome to the club.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Fri 29 Dec 2017, 11:22 am

Really jealous of your location. That county has the best roads in the country afaic.
r1ncew1nd
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by r1ncew1nd on Fri 29 Dec 2017, 2:05 pm

Cracking looking bike GG.  Gorgeous.  Lovely condition.

Mind me asking what you paid (just to make me even more jealous)?
GollyGosh
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by GollyGosh on Sat 30 Dec 2017, 3:30 pm

@trevormachine +1 on the Lincolnshire roads for bikes though not so much fun in a van.  Very few opportunities to pass trucks, caravans, tractors and the plethora of car drivers who don't go over 50mph. I'm looking forward to getting my A licence to compensate for 20,000 miles a year driving a van in Lincolnshire and Yorkshire Counties. IMHO the Yorkshire roads are better maintained but too many speed limits on open roads.

@r1ncew1nd I paid £1700 for the bike  Shocked which was more than my initial budget thoughts but it just stood out from CBF's at a similiar price.  As I said in my first post it was love at first sight and maybe love is blind but for me it's a dream come true.  Who said romance is dead Very Happy
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Sat 30 Dec 2017, 8:32 pm

@GollyGosh wrote:I paid £1700 for the bike  Shocked
As I said in my first post it was love at first sight

What a fabulous bargain. Bike looks mint and - seen from my point of view - £1700 is a complete steal.

Mind you, I live in Denmark. In comparison I paid £2500 for a 22.000 miles 2001 Y reg that needed service, tires, chain kit - the lot.

Admitted - I'm ever so slightly envious of you Smile

As a funny side note I'm also one of the cart-before-horse-lot. I had to have a mate ride my bike home when I bought it. In my case it was a matter of good price (a measly 2500...) and the fact that I happened to get to ride a poorly maintained CB500 on the 'proving ground/sandbox' for my first lesson, acquiring my drivers license. It performed above par... Sold itself in a heartbeat. Had to have one of those.

Returning to the subject at hand - welcome.

Welcome to the asylum. You now join ranks with the nicest people - those you meet on a Honda. We're happy to meet you Smile

And as my first uttering on all things motorcycular, aimed directly at you, this is what I have to say:

Take care of your bike. Then, your bike will take care of you.
As one reviewer wrote, the lowly CB500 seems to be hewn from Neverfailium and will procede to exceed the owner's expectations again and again. Visordown even has it listed as #1 Honda - read here.

I hope you will have lots of fun!
r1ncew1nd
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by r1ncew1nd on Sat 30 Dec 2017, 9:06 pm

Love may be blind, but you certainly did not have your beer goggles on when you set your eyes on that beauty !

And I don't think £1700 is over the odds.  Chances are you'll get thousands of happy miles out of her, and you'll be riding a classy looking set of wheels.  

Who was the dealer?  The photos look familiar to when I was looking for my CB500 but they were too far away for me to travel to. 

Happy riding.

Steve
GollyGosh
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by GollyGosh on Sat 30 Dec 2017, 10:36 pm

Thanks Stormbringer, not only am I pleased to have found the bike I am very pleased to have found this forum. 

I have to ride a 600cc bike on the test so I'm using a school bike to learn on.  Thanks to wise advice on this forum I've got some jobs to keep me busy and prep the bike before my first ride - and I can't wait to pass and do just that.

As for bike prices it must be a Europe mainland thing. My son is living in France and for what he paid for a second hand car could have bought one three years newer in the UK...
GollyGosh
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by GollyGosh on Sat 30 Dec 2017, 10:55 pm

@r1ncew1nd wrote:Who was the dealer?  The photos look familiar to when I was looking for my CB500 but they were too far away for me to travel to.

PB Motorsport in Blackpool.

Too far for me so it was a mail order bride.  I did check the bike on the dvla mot history site had a lengthy conversation on the phone and studied the photo's before committing to buy,

Had the bike delivered and wasn't disappointed when it arrived.
r1ncew1nd
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by r1ncew1nd on Sun 31 Dec 2017, 8:56 am

Yes, that was who I was thinking of;  PB Motorsport in Blackpool.

They had a similar condition CB500 last year when I was looking but also being a newbie I was not confident enough to buy without being able to touch it first.  So glad it worked out for you.

Steve
tt fan
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by tt fan on Fri 12 Jan 2018, 11:23 pm

Welcome!
Bike's mint - you'll enjoy getting out on that

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 23 Jan 2018, 3:58 pm