You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

1997 Honda CB 500 Speedometer Upgrade?

hawksquawks
Squiddy
Squiddy

1997 Honda CB 500 Speedometer Upgrade?

Post by hawksquawks on Mon 02 Oct 2017, 8:15 pm

Hello, This is my first of hopefully many posts on this forum. Recently I acquired A 1997 Honda CB 500 for £700 having just passed my direct access test.  cheers Anyway, I want to make changes to my bike. I'd like to modernise it a little. I was thinking about starting with upgrading the speedo to a digital speedometer like found on the newer CB500F. I'd be very surprised if no one has done this before. I'd like to know if anyone can recommend anything for me. I am kind of on a budget so nothing overly expensive haha. 

While on the topic of mods and upgrades I feel it's worth touching on the topic of fuel tanks I plan on touring on this bike in the future I'd like to know if any option exists for larger fuel tanks may be an, even more, modern looking fuel tank tho that's not really the most important thing to me.
Jameshambleton

Re: 1997 Honda CB 500 Speedometer Upgrade?

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 02 Oct 2017, 8:48 pm

Welcome to the forum Hawk!
You can use any bicycle ones, superglue the magnet within one of the disc mounting bolts and place the pickup on the inside of the fork leg. This will be most likely be your best way going about it. 

Koso clocks are the way to go and can be picked up for about £100. There is a handy thread on http://www.customfighters.com/ but I can't seem to find it at the moment. 

As for the fuel tank the standard one is more than enough. Since you've just started using the bike you can get an app on your phone called fuelly. I personally use it and it's great! once you've it's worked out your mpg and you set an average times it by 4 and you've got a very close ballpark tank range worked out. 
 http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/cb500/1997/hambleton/374200
hawksquawks
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by hawksquawks on Mon 02 Oct 2017, 11:12 pm

Thanks for the information, I'll stick the stock for the minute I guess. I have installed the app and set up an account. The first trip recorded. I know I normally see around 55MPG I have also had 63MPG out of the CB. but It will be nice to get some longterm data.
ZekeVal
Running out of unique names
Running out of unique names

Post by ZekeVal on Tue 03 Oct 2017, 8:34 am

Hello there, and Welcome!

I'm a mileage geek as well, and when I got the bike I just bought a small notebook where I record every fill-up as well as maintenance done, very useful!

Regarding the mileage, I feel like it remains very low for such a fun bike and it averages above 60 UK MPG for me.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Tue 03 Oct 2017, 1:14 pm

I use fuelly just like james does
hawksquawks
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by hawksquawks on Tue 03 Oct 2017, 9:10 pm

The first result showed 45 mpg today. Very good app.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 03 Oct 2017, 10:00 pm

@hawksquawks wrote:The first result showed 45 mpg today. Very good app.

check your settings as it shows 53.4 mpg for me, check you're using uk gallons and not us ones
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Wed 04 Oct 2017, 8:50 am

If you plan on doing touring/longhaul, you'll probably want to mount a satnav on the bike - and satnavs have very accurate speedometers inside 'em. I've tinkered with a proper Tomtom Rider 40 install on mine and it's absolutely fantastic now! Not only is the design discreet, it's effective and will have you go anywhere with confidence and allow you to tour rather than struggle with the planning-bit. Functions in the rain too, does not require fiddling with cables or worrying about running out of power - it just works.

Besides; the OE speedometer is actually quite accurate. Replacing it with a digital readout instrument will (in my view) be a downgrade, as needle gauges are faster to read at a glance than number-based displays.

As for the tank you plan on replacing; why? The bike will - effectively, considering petrol station placement and the general motorway infrastructure layout in Europe - give you between 250 and 350km range per refuelling. This will give you an operating range of up to 1800km in one sitting (pun intended). Ask me how I know...
Take it from me; it's not the tank capacity that will limit you.
In stead, may I direct your attention to the IBA Archive Of Wisdom. 26 advices to ride by, if you want to go far and stay safe while doing so.

In fact, I would recommend you to ride the bike for a while before you start modding it. There's a high probability you will discover that you can't improve much. Really.

If you need to scratch your 'improvement' itch, here's a few ideas:

• Fresh tires. Mucho importante!
  • Fresh brake pads.
  • Steel braided brake hoses.
  • Replace clutch cable.
  • Replace old headlight bulb with Osram Nightbreaker Ultra
  • New rear shocks + front fork service incl. oil & bushings.
  • Swinging arm bearing check/service.
  • Optionally a fresh chain kit (the whole lot, not just the chain!)
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 04 Oct 2017, 12:57 pm

According to my calculations the standard cb500 speedo is only 0.5mph/0.95km over read at 60mph with a bt45 front tyre, this will change depending on how worn the tyre is as well as the profile shape of the tyre.

If you fit a 110/70/17 s20 evo front tyre at 60mph you'll be looking at a 2.5mph overread over standard meaning at 60mph your true speed is only 57mph. Given this ratio it's your given speed, divided by 10 and then divided by 2. 

E.g 60mph/10=6mph
6mph/2=3mph 
60mph-3mph=57mph

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 16 Oct 2018, 10:43 am