You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

Hello from a newbie with a bruised ego!

MrRaz

Hello from a newbie with a bruised ego!

Post by MrRaz on Tue 26 Sep 2017, 2:03 pm

Hi folks,

I'm the proud owner of a new (to me) '99 CB500S. My name is Dave and please settle in for a tale fresh-faced exuberance and stupidity...

So I acquired the bike from my brother-in-law. In decent condition for the age. "You can have it for nothing but it's been in my mate's garage for over 2 years. Good luck." Great, I thought. What a legend. You may have gotten my sister pregnant but I guess you're alright!

So at this point I'm the owner of a rather unloved black CB500S, covered in cobwebs and dead leaves, no idea if it even starts, and all I've got is a CBT certificate and a theory test....

There she is! I believe the term is 'shabby chic'.

Anyway, after a wash down and connection to life support, we (me and my 70s British-triple loving dad) got the beast running! All well and good. So far.

I'm afraid I stopped taking photos at this point... my hands were too oil-encrusted. Anyway, you get the idea.

So after a few weekends work (rubbing down some corroded aluminium, releasing stubborn carbs, replacing rear brake cylinder, gluing cracked fairings, cleaning brakes, replacing mirrors) it was MOT time!

Oh btw, I should mention that I passed my Mod 1 & 2 in the meantime. Go me!

So it had the MOT a couple of weeks ago and sailed through with a couple of minors and I've been happily riding ever since!

But I'm afraid the story does not have a happy ending...

Fast forward to this morning and I'm pootling along happily through town on my way to work. I change lanes on the run up to a red light, grab a bit too much front brake and drop my new pride and joy  Sad

After sliding along for a few metres I get up, thankfully with only minor injuries, to discover a sheared-off indicator, broken front light and fairing, and a horribly disfigured rear brake lever. Dammit!  Mad

Still, at least I walked away from it! And the bike can be repaired. I live and learn!

Anyway, enough rambling from me. Thanks for listening!

Cheers
Dave

P.S. I'll be posting in 'parts wanted' soon enough...
Jameshambleton

Re: Hello from a newbie with a bruised ego!

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 26 Sep 2017, 3:48 pm

Welcome to the forum Dave, that's quite a story you have (im currently redoing my mod1 and mod2 shortly for my progressive access A licence. You can always pick up cheap parts for these bikes Wink

It maybe worth checking the DOT date on your tyres as if it's old then it might explain why they lost grip so quickly.
MrRaz

Post by MrRaz on Tue 26 Sep 2017, 4:22 pm

Cheers James, I'll have a look at the tyres.

I've posted in parts wanted so will see what comes up.
ZekeVal
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by ZekeVal on Tue 26 Sep 2017, 5:05 pm

Welcome here!

Nice to see all the effort you put in to revive that bike.
Hope you'll be enjoying it again very soon Wink
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Tue 26 Sep 2017, 5:57 pm

Welcome to forum.... new set bt45s maybe...its the joy of motoring  ...at least your ok....ive cb 500v and cb500s... guess you have to glue your fairing or get new fairing... cb 500 a hardy bike...take a fair bit to kill one...
MrRaz

Post by MrRaz on Tue 26 Sep 2017, 7:21 pm

Nice one. Yeah it shouldn't take too much to repair.

I think I've found a replacement light assembly and possibly a fairing. Should be back out on the road soon enough Very Happy

I'll check out those bridgestones cheers
John_B
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by John_B on Wed 27 Sep 2017, 10:04 pm

Sorry to hear that. Actually it is not a bad drop, when some sports bikes can cost a thousand to sort out the bodywork after a drop from stationary. Still, it is annoying to damage the fairing. I managed to get a better one off ebay. Sometimes they can be repaired.  As for the indicator, it has done you a favour if you lose those cheap generic indicators and get something more like the originals.

So far I have only dropped mine stationary (whole trying to get on at a petrol station  Embarassed ). The crash bungs helped. Maybe get some.

I have a spare front light which is slightly cracked / discoloured owing to wrong wattage bulb, if you cannot get a better one for a reasonable price. My tatty fairing is not much use as its red. Still you should be able to find parts in reasonable condition for a reasonable price. It is such a nice bike that it is worth it, even though the resale value does not fully reflect cost of the parts you buy for it. When I say such a nice bike, I mean both the model, and that yours looks like a clean example to me, under the leaves etc.
MrRaz

Post by MrRaz on Wed 27 Sep 2017, 11:01 pm

Thanks for the responses all. It was in decent nick and I enjoyed the riding while it was upright! I had another look at the fairing today and can probably repair that without too much hassle.

Sadly I've not heard back about the light so I'll drop you a private message if that's alright John. I'd like to get back out asap!
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Wed 27 Sep 2017, 11:06 pm

The fairing not up to much ive a crack on lhs from a fall over from previous  owner
MrRaz

Post by MrRaz on Wed 27 Sep 2017, 11:13 pm

Yeah I didn't think it was a big hit but there's plenty of damage  Evil or Very Mad
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Wed 27 Sep 2017, 11:51 pm

My cb 500s was left up for years but thankfully inside...so theres little or no rust bar exhaust... it also has low yss rear shocks as well(from previous owner...witch makes bike hard to get on centre stand... and is easy to topple of it its side stand with ease so i wouldnt beat ur self up over it ... i droped my cb 500v  from stand still these things happen...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 18 Jun 2018, 10:28 am