Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Mudguard extender?

fgclark123
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Mudguard extender?

Post by fgclark123 on Thu 21 Sep 2017, 6:00 pm

I keep thinking it's daft how small the front mud guard is, leaving the engine etc to take a constant weathering direct from the road.

Has anyone fitted an extender? I see plastic ones for only £15 on ebay - worth a punt i'm thinking, but has anyone been there?

Thanks
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Re: Mudguard extender?

Post by ANDYC on Thu 21 Sep 2017, 6:28 pm

Yes, it keeps the road crud out of the radiator.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Thu 21 Sep 2017, 8:05 pm

Yes mine has the extender AND the the previous owner extended the extender with the addition of an old shoe sole! 

Protects the bike from grime though.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Thu 21 Sep 2017, 8:13 pm

I also extended my extender - but with a large piece of rigid black plastic. It works well - even if it doesn't look so great.
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Thu 21 Sep 2017, 9:10 pm

Haha. I've extended the daft thing with a Pyramid extender - and it works like a charm! Dunno why Honda R&D opted for the micro-solution.
louis_sutton
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Post by louis_sutton on Fri 22 Sep 2017, 10:38 am

Me too with a pyramid. Wheel out, guard off, fix it with the adhesive pads already on the extender, hold it, drill it, use the plastic rivets. 

It's good, but not a complete solution, as those above have commented.
Grarea
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Post by Grarea on Sat 23 Sep 2017, 2:23 pm

Yup, I have an extender, was already on there. (About the only thing someone did right.
Had the same on a cb600, added an extender.

What about on the back wheel?
Is it worth putting something to protect the swingarm?
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Sun 24 Sep 2017, 6:37 am

The only thing I personally have done to try and provide a bit of protection for the swing arm is basically to paint the damn thing. Not on the parts that're easily visible - but those bits tucked in front of the back wheel, where I applied a coat of Hammerite. It really is difficult to see where I've brushed it on (luckily, because brushed on paint always looks shite unless you're a trained coach painter or Caravaggio), but it does seem to create another layer against the weather, and thus inhibit the onset of corrosion slightly.

I also painted directly beneath all parts of the swing arm - once again, completely out of the line of sight unless the bike was actually turned upside down. Then, if you're going to be riding a lot through winter, you can also then smear on black grease (I prefer this to the normal underseal type products, and even wax oil stuff - because I do believe it stays on longer, and is also easy to tell if it's still there doing it's job, unlike the thin, invisible, nigh on undetectable film of protection created by e.g. ACF50, which seems to be about one molecule thick like a kind of liquid graphene). Smear generously on the underside out of sight, and - if you're not arsed about looks - even rub some over the swing arm's upper parts too. It might not look attractive but imo it does a better job than all other kinds of coatings that act as preservers and corrosion inhibitors.

Another bit of the bike's rear that's quite prone to weathering is of course the suspension. Fortunately, unlike the majority of other bikes, the CB500's system is up and out of the worst of it. However the chrome on those old fashioned twin shocks is still not going to provide much of a barrier to oxidation, and rust soon starts to come through if you're not quite religious about wiping crap off them regularly, and giving them a second wipe with a very oily rag.

If you can't be bothered with that - and if you're riding most days through winter, who actually could be so meticulous - wax oil will do, or better, some clear Vaseline. The latter stays on longer, I think - and, being relatively clarified, doesn't look too bad from a cosmetic point of view. Just make sure to cover all over the spring, especially up into the sub-frame but also where it connects to the swing arm. Monitor periodically how the grease on the swing arm and the Vaseline on the shocks stands up to the rain. Be prepared to reapply if necessary. Mine was fine all last year - and when spring came I got a pile of rags, some diesel, and cleaned all that shite off. It was perfectly fine beneath with no signs of corrosion anywhere - including the centre stand which is often the first to feel the effects (a part of the bike I also black greased, suffice to say). I do have to admit, though, that I very rarely rode in heavy rain - even if I was still clocking up a couple of hundred miles a week between October and March.
Grarea
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Post by Grarea on Sun 24 Sep 2017, 3:25 pm

Great thanks.
The springs are pretty brown I shall put something on those.

The main thing that I saw was that bit on the swing arm that gets a battering from the rear wheel.
So, while the wheel was out, it got a lick of hammerite. 
Luvvly Jubbly.

I shall look at the rest a bit later.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 24 Oct 2017, 3:18 am