Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Brake handle sticking

fgclark123
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Brake handle sticking

Post by fgclark123 on Fri 15 Sep 2017, 7:51 pm

Hi,

I just replaced the right brake handle.

When the bolt and nut are fully tight, if I pull the brake, it sticks, so it doesn't release fully and the brake light stays on.

The easy solution is to loosen the nut - that way the handle returns fine. But this is a serious safety hazard long term.

Can anyone advise on a better solution - replace the spring perhaps? Any guides on how to?

Thanks a lot, a small problem that could turn into a big one...
Crash- Elmit
Running out of unique names

Re: Brake handle sticking

Post by Crash- Elmit on Fri 15 Sep 2017, 7:59 pm

The bolt should have a shoulder on it so you physically cannot overtighten the holder to prevent the sort of thin,g you mention from happening.

It's possible you have a lever with too thick a pivot section, If so, you should get it replaced
Fair Weather Rider

Post by Fair Weather Rider on Fri 15 Sep 2017, 8:09 pm

Put a Nylock nut on the underside and don't fully tighten.

muttley1
the 900
the 900

Post by muttley1 on Sat 16 Sep 2017, 12:32 pm

HI,
as said, the bolt shouldn't be able to pinch the lever to restrict its movement.

If you mean that the spring in the master cylinder isn't returning to push the lever out after applying the brake then you'll need a new master cylinder kit (various threads on this) and to give the master cylinder itself a good clean out. Bleeding the brakes is pretty easy and worth it for peace of mind if you've not long had the bike.

Also, if you find that the lever has uneven lengths of travel before the brake applies I found that this down to the type of brake lever. Those for brembo master cyls differ from those for nissin.

atb

muttley1
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sat 16 Sep 2017, 1:17 pm

I had the same issue, don't bother with the nut the thread of the pin will hold it. Run mine without the nut for a good few thousand miles by now
fgclark123
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by fgclark123 on Sat 16 Sep 2017, 3:26 pm

great responses, thanks

Post by Guest on Sun 17 Sep 2017, 4:59 pm

I get problems with my brake lever, in fact it happens with all my bikes, it's where the lever meets the master cylinder, drop of red grease and it's cured.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Sun 17 Sep 2017, 9:53 pm

Guest wrote: it happens with all my bikes,
Great casual throw-away line that.
skyerae
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by skyerae on Mon 18 Sep 2017, 6:20 am

My nut (for the clutch lever pivot) fell off a while ago and I found the bolt was turning itself out every time I applied the clutch. Tried two small nuts locked up against each other and they too fell off - most likely due to vibration. Ordered a proper (Honda) nut from Fowler's (avoid them like the plague) and it has been fitted and is still there to this day.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 22 Nov 2017, 10:55 am