Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Killswitching itself

Jameshambleton

Killswitching itself

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 11 Sep 2017, 1:04 pm

I've had an intermittent electrical issue recently causing really loud backfires (I'm getting complaints from neighbours at 8:30am on a sunday morning) and the bike kill switching itself (sometimes it's done it while cornering). 

I know it's the ignition circuit as the rev counter cuts out and the needle drops before kicking back in. This issue only occurs after a number of hours of been stood so it's hard to test but sometimes it doesn't even occur at all. 

The bike idles fine and the problem only occurs if the clutch is let out all the way or yesterday when I was changing gear (clutchlessly). 

I thought it was 2 things, my sidestand switch bypass and the little ring connector that lives where the standard reg/rec lives. Neither of these are causing the issue as I've cleaned up the connections and the issue is still on going. 

The obvious choice is the clutch switch but I've checked the cables going into it and they're good. I can't get to the switch itself as the pivot bolt is seized in and no amount of heat or impact driver as gotten it to move. 

Any suggestions are welcomed.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Re: Killswitching itself

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 12 Sep 2017, 10:51 pm

Is it the *actual* kill switch?  You can (intentionally) make a good backfire by use of the kill-switch at the right time Smile

It is quite exposed on the handlebars and can collect damp/water/corrosion.  I have previously taken mine apart and cleaned the contacts.
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Wed 13 Sep 2017, 9:06 am

I would be more inclined to suspect the ignition switch or it's wiring to be more precise. I've experienced this problem in the past,  a few times. It always turned out to be the ignition switch wiring as it's prone to constant movement around the headstock.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 04 Oct 2017, 7:59 pm

Turned out to be a loose spade connector on the clutch switch and that sorted it out for a couple of weeks but then it started playing up again last night and the spade was still tight so I'll see how it goes.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sat 07 Oct 2017, 10:59 am

Jameshambleton wrote:Turned out to be a loose spade connector on the clutch switch and that sorted it out for a couple of weeks but then it started playing up again last night and the spade was still tight so I'll see how it goes.

The clutch switch gets activated every time you pull in the clutch (so at least twice every ride!) so I wouldn't be surprised if the switch itself had gone wrong in some way.

Additionally I can vouch for the fragility of the connections that travel down the headstock of the bike - half my idiot lights and clocks went black a few years back thanks to snapped wire.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 24 Oct 2017, 1:15 am