You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

original tank decals

Crash- Elmit
the 800
the 800

Solved original tank decals

Post by Crash- Elmit on Sun 03 Sep 2017, 10:20 pm

According to CMSNL the original tank decals for the 1994 CB500r are no longer available.

I can buy one part for the RHS from fleabay listed as new old stock, but have not found a LH one.

the part available is the long cross-striped one that sits under the Honda logo.

anyone on here know of a place I can get them from?

Last edited by Crash- Elmit on Mon 04 Sep 2017, 12:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Crash- Elmit
the 800
the 800

Solved Re: original tank decals

Post by Crash- Elmit on Mon 04 Sep 2017, 12:19 am

I've sorted it folks. got a set from a site called xtremedecals.com £44 all in delivered from good ol USA
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 04 Sep 2017, 8:57 am

@Crash- Elmit wrote:I've sorted it folks. got a set from a site called xtremedecals.com £44 all in delivered from good ol USA

Can you let me know what the quality of them please, I've been looking at getting some of theirs for my vfr as it needs a respray and new decals.
Crash- Elmit
the 800
the 800

Post by Crash- Elmit on Tue 05 Sep 2017, 6:54 pm

Will do James
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Tue 05 Sep 2017, 8:26 pm

@Jameshambleton wrote:

@Crash- Elmit wrote:I've sorted it folks. got a set from a site called xtremedecals.com £44 all in delivered from good ol USA

Can you let me know what the quality of them please, I've been looking at getting some of theirs for my vfr as it needs a respray and new decals.
have you got a price sorted for spraying the bike james , when I was doing the cb5 up I went to see a guy near me and he wanted £500
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 06 Sep 2017, 12:32 pm

@skyrider wrote:
@Jameshambleton wrote:
have you got a price sorted for spraying the bike james , when I was doing the cb5 up I went to see a guy near me and he wanted £500

Won't have for a while but won't be anywhere near that sort of price, if I get stupid quotes I'll just get the proper gear and try doing it myself. Think I'll just soda blast the tank and spray it with a rattlecan to prevent any further rust since there is already some on it, and run it over winter should I get my bike test done in time.
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Wed 06 Sep 2017, 6:42 pm

no I wouldn't pay it either and I rattle canned mine
Crash- Elmit
the 800
the 800

Post by Crash- Elmit on Wed 06 Sep 2017, 10:12 pm

I usually rattle can my own, but decided to go for a proper job this time
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Thu 07 Sep 2017, 6:53 pm

how much dare we ask Laughing
Crash- Elmit
the 800
the 800

Post by Crash- Elmit on Thu 07 Sep 2017, 11:58 pm

@skyrider wrote:how much dare we ask Laughing

I won't know until I have collected the new tank tomorrow afternoon. I intend to get the best one of the two tanks done.
 There is a place in Leicester called GD design, and I will be getting a quote from them. I actually bought rattle cans from RS paints last year to do the job myself, but then moved to Rothwell  while still renting the garage in Northampton so it became impractical to go back and forth to get the job done.

I have also bought a Bagster tank protector, again collecting tomorrow, so the tank will be well protected once repainted.
Crash- Elmit
the 800
the 800

Post by Crash- Elmit on Sat 09 Sep 2017, 12:24 pm

I have the replacement tank.

Unfortunately it's red. On the plus side, its' in pretty good condition, and there is no rust inside or around the bottom edge, the underside is almost the condition its in when new.

It may have been resprayed at some point in its life, as one set of decals were damaged and I managed to peel them off, and I was under the impression original decals were under lacquer and were of the water based transfer type
 Due to the better condition I have decided this tank will get the treatment. I will have it sandblasted back to bare metal and painted properly, decals applied and then lacquered.

The Bagster tank cover is perfect and it fits just like a glove. there is a range of bags that can be attached to it via connectors and my moto tank bag magnets should be strong enough to keep it in place on top of the cover.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Sat 09 Sep 2017, 4:45 pm

Crash- Elmit Due to the better condition I have decided this tank will get the treatment. I will have it sandblasted back to bare metal and painted properly, decals applied and then lacquered.

You risk ruining the tank if you sand blast it. Either bead or sodablast would be my recommendation.

Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sat 09 Sep 2017, 6:44 pm

Bead (glass) or soda (bicarbonate of soda) are best, sand blasting will give it a semi-shot blasted effect
Crash- Elmit
the 800
the 800

Post by Crash- Elmit on Sun 10 Sep 2017, 12:13 am

thankyou for the advice, I'm assuming the paint sprayers will have the proper equipment to do the job correctly.
Although the tank is in pretty good condition paint-wise I think going back to bare metal is the right course.
The cheaper option is Nitromors paint remover, but that takes a lot of Nitro to do one tank, and is very messy
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Sun 10 Sep 2017, 10:57 am

@Crash- Elmit wrote:thankyou for the advice, I'm assuming the paint sprayers will have the proper equipment to do the job correctly.
I'm thinking that it is a lot safer to never assume. If you want it done correctly, check everything beforehand.
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Sun 10 Sep 2017, 3:08 pm

@Beresford wrote:I'm thinking that it is a lot safer to never assume. If you want it done correctly, check everything beforehand.
Just my thought. On so many occasions I've fallen into this particular trap. There's much truth in the saying "Assumption is the mother of all f*ckups!"
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 10 Sep 2017, 4:11 pm

@Crash- Elmit wrote:The cheaper option is Nitromors paint remover, but that takes a lot of Nitro to do one tank, and is very messy

Don't use paint remover, any form of residue will lift and/or craze any new paint that's put on top of it and sometimes pain remover also semi penetrates the metal causing issues.
Crash- Elmit
the 800
the 800

Post by Crash- Elmit on Sat 16 Sep 2017, 3:22 pm

Got the decals today.

they are not bad, quality wise, but there is a flaw in their creation. The decals on our tanks has different shades of the primary colour in the design - in my case light green to dark green, but the new ones are all the same colour, again in my case they are light green.

I have bought the right hand one that was on sale on fleabay, and will send pics of it to another company, this one is in Englnd, and see if they can produce them . They say on their website they can make any decals you need so I will see what they have to say. unfortunately I will not be using the other ones cos to me  they don't look right.    PS, They arrived from  Malta

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 25 Sep 2018, 1:41 pm