Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Troubleshooting non-firing engine - choke info

fgclark123
Squiddy
Squiddy

Troubleshooting non-firing engine - choke info

Post by fgclark123 on Sun 03 Sep 2017, 4:57 pm

Hi there,

I've just tried to start my bike after about 2 months of non use. It's been under a rain cover sat outside.

The starter motor turns the engine over, but the engine doesn't fire.

There is petrol in the tank.

To be honest, mechanically I'm a complete novice. Clearly there is a problem, but where do I sensibly begin to troubleshoot this??

Thanks a lot
John_B
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Re: Troubleshooting non-firing engine - choke info

Post by John_B on Sun 03 Sep 2017, 6:05 pm

Check the fuel tap is on, and if the tank is not reasonaby full put it on reserve. I know it is obvious but we all miss the obvious sometimes. Put the choke on, and give it a good chance.

If it does not start after a few goes with choke on, put the choke off. If you overdo trying to start it with the choke on, especially if you smell petrol, that can mean there is too much fuel in the engine--flooded--and the plugs have got wet with fuel. That will stop it firing. Sometimes you can clear fuel flooding without pulling out the plugs just by turning over the engine for a while over *without* choke, or by leaving it overnight to evaporate, though the quick way is to pull out the spark plugs and check for wetness and get everything dry.

If it is still no go, my next step would be check there is a good spark at the plugs, which is hard to do well without removing the tank. For more ideas, see this recent thread on the same topic http://www.cb500club.net/t5384-bike-won-t-start
fgclark123
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by fgclark123 on Sun 03 Sep 2017, 8:06 pm

That's really helpful, thanks.

You're gonna hate me for asking this, but where is the choke lever - is it on the carb or the handlebars? And what position is on and off? Only just getting used to this bike.

Thanks a lot
John_B
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by John_B on Sun 03 Sep 2017, 8:19 pm

Left handlebar. Pretty much the same as in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-cPO1bmTJ0, pull for on, push for off.
John_B
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by John_B on Sun 03 Sep 2017, 8:28 pm

In case you are new to vehicles with chokes, they are normal when you have carbuerretors rather than fuel injection, though with some types of carburretor they come on automatically. They increase the proportion of fuel in the fuel-air mixture when the engine is cold. Turning over for a long time with choke on can cause flooding with too much fuel. However, normally the choke is needed to start from cold. You ease it off as the engine warms up, and use little or no choke if starting an engine which already warm. There is more info on youtube.
fgclark123
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by fgclark123 on Sun 03 Sep 2017, 10:38 pm

Great John, thanks a lot
Fair Weather Rider
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by Fair Weather Rider on Mon 04 Sep 2017, 10:22 am

Have you made sure the Kill Switch is in the correct position.
Easy to miss.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 19 Sep 2017, 7:50 pm