Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Nightmare Forks!

stelladragon
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Nightmare Forks!

Post by stelladragon on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 2:47 pm

The seals were shot when I bought my first 500s 2 years ago, and the chap I usually use for stuff I can't do screwed his face up when I took the legs round. He said they are notorious for the bottom bush getting stuck in the top bush etc. He replaced them, and 6 months later they are shot again. I decided to have a go myself this time but I can't shift them with the slide hammer or boiling water method. It driving me bonkers! Am a missing a trick?
steady Eddy
the 800
the 800

Re: Nightmare Forks!

Post by steady Eddy on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 5:47 pm

Are you following haynes guide? Have you took out the metal clip that holds the seal in?

Have you watched this vid, might help 
stelladragon
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by stelladragon on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 5:58 pm

Yes I've followed the Haynes to the letter, and reinstalled the damper and tried the boiling water method. Still can't shift either seal.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 6:26 pm

Drain your oil out if you haven't already, get a blow torch and basically set the seal on fire then get a stanley knife and cut it in some places. very vague I know but it worked for me
Fair Weather Rider
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by Fair Weather Rider on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 7:02 pm

I must be very lucky, I have replaced fork seals in 2 x cb500 and never had a problem.
Whole job takes about an hour.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 21 Sep 2017, 4:46 pm