Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Temp gauge

phorx999
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Temp gauge

Post by phorx999 on Sun 27 Aug 2017, 9:00 pm

right, i took my bike to get the valve clearances adjusted, showed me pics of it being done, but ive noticed the temperature gauge isn't moving from its start position, turn the key and it moves to the white mark but stays there. the fan will still come on but i'm wondering if they've just not plugged something in or such. any ideas?
Jameshambleton

Re: Temp gauge

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 27 Aug 2017, 9:08 pm

Low coolant level
Bad ground from the thermostat housing (it grounds through the thread from the coil bracket) 
plug on the thermostat housing isn't pushed on correctly
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Mon 28 Aug 2017, 6:34 am

Low coolant level? How does that result in the gauge needle not moving? My bike was *very* low on coolant yesterday and the needle was flying up and down as I made my way across York and beyond. I must've put the best part of a litre in there when I finally topped up.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 28 Aug 2017, 4:42 pm

@trevor machine wrote:Low coolant level? How does that result in the gauge needle not moving? My bike was *very* low on coolant yesterday and the needle was flying up and down as I made my way across York and beyond. I must've put the best part of a litre in there when I finally topped up.

The needle is controlled by the temp sensor on the thermostat housing and not the thermoswitch, as the thermoswitch is only used for the fan and nothing else as it's a switched ground.

By having a very low coolant level the water isn't there for the sensor to sense so it's trying to measure the temperature of the steam which is condensing on the sensor. When the system is pressurised it stops bubbles from forming, but when it isn't pressurised then they form (like when a kettle boils). This will rapidly go through the system and hit the sensor which will make the temp gauge on your clocks rocket up and then drop back down down until it happened again which will explain your experience.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Mon 28 Aug 2017, 6:24 pm

Interesting. I also noticed my radiator was very dirty, and quite possibly not working very well because there was so much crap between the filaments that maybe air wasn't getting through. So I attacked it with aerosol brake cleaner - haven't ridden it since though, so not sure if this has had any effect.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 21 Nov 2017, 11:03 pm