Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Moto Guzzi Cuestion

Hcb
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Moto Guzzi Cuestion

Post by Hcb on Thu 24 Aug 2017, 10:11 am

A question I usually ask myself...

Why do not we see moto guzzi V7 on the road? Only in town, and very few.

The logic makes me think that would be a perfect substitute for the CB500, but it causes me distrust.

I had a chance to try it months ago. I found it to be a relatively comfortable and versatile bike, I do not know if the engine will be reliable over time. 

One of the defects I saw, is the hardness of the seat and the shock absorbers are also very hard. 

One photo.

trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Re: Moto Guzzi Cuestion

Post by trevor machine on Thu 24 Aug 2017, 3:10 pm

I'm pretty sure there's quite a lot of dissatisfaction regarding the V7's rear suspension. An old guy came into my mate's place a couple of weeks ago asking if there was anything that could be done about it. He has already changed to Hagons (often seemingly regarded as themselves generally over-damped). Needless to say nothing much could be done to improve the V7's rear suspension without the investment of potentially a lot of time and effort spent trying various combinations of pre-load and damper settings. The guy went away disappointed.

Also, I personally aren't keen on shaft-driven bikes. I think they add unnecessary weight, and I think they can also be prone to "snatchy" - or at least, less smooth - throttle responses (although this wasn't the case on the BMW I rode). In addition, there are extra seals to worry about.

Finally, I'm not overly impressed with some key bits of the bike's spec - so for instance, 190kg in weight, and 47bhp. That's 10kg heavier than the CB500, and 10bhp less power - despite having an engine that's 150cc larger. : - /
Hcb
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by Hcb on Thu 24 Aug 2017, 6:30 pm

trevor machine wrote:I'm pretty sure there's quite a lot of dissatisfaction regarding the V7's rear suspension. An old guy came into my mate's place a couple of weeks ago asking if there was anything that could be done about it. He has already changed to Hagons (often seemingly regarded as themselves generally over-damped). Needless to say nothing much could be done to improve the V7's rear suspension without the investment of potentially a lot of time and effort spent trying various combinations of pre-load and damper settings. The guy went away disappointed.

Also, I personally aren't keen on shaft-driven bikes. I think they add unnecessary weight, and I think they can also be prone to "snatchy" - or at least, less smooth - throttle responses (although this wasn't the case on the BMW I rode). In addition, there are extra seals to worry about.

Finally, I'm not overly impressed with some key bits of the bike's spec - so for instance, 190kg in weight, and 47bhp. That's 10kg heavier than the CB500, and 10bhp less power - despite having an engine that's 150cc larger. : - /

Hi, Trevor.

Yes I agree. The power of the bike is not at the level of the cb500, although the versatility is considerable. On the other hand, the information on the aftermarket of this bike, is harmful. Everything is great when you buy the bike, but it seems that the bike has many problems and the customer service is disastrous.

Well .. Faults, disastrous customer service, and questionable power.

Probably, for all these reasons, we do not see moto guzzi on the road.

What a pity, the bike is the most beautiful I ever tried.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Fri 25 Aug 2017, 3:04 pm

Friend of a friend has one - but owns and rides various old British bikes as well. However, he does like the V7 and has no plans to get rid of it afaik - so that's apparently one fairly satisfied customer. ; - )
Oafski

Post by Oafski on Tue 29 Aug 2017, 8:00 pm

Only today I sold my Breva 750ie, the V7s predecessor  to my mate. I fitted Hagon's to that and they were an improvement. I owned the Breva for four and a half years and only sold it because of unremitting pressure from my mate and needing the cash. It's replacement is a 1997 CB500 which I am bringing back from from the dead after a different mate leaned it on the road over a year ago. If I get half as much pleasure from the Honda as I have had from the Guzzi I shall be well happy.
Vardypeeps
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by Vardypeeps on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 12:44 pm

I've heard/read that the engine vibrates quite a lot for what you pay for them.
IMO there not very good looking, everything seems oversized and a bit numb.
Looks like a cross between a bobber and a cafe racer, like it's not sure where it belongs...
Oafski

Post by Oafski on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 1:14 pm

Not sure if you're talking about the Breva or the V7 when you talk about the styling. The Breva did take a bit of getting used to but it grew on me and quite liked it. There was a bit of a rumble more than a vibration between about 3500 and 4250 rpm but this is a V twin with no balancer shafts we're talking about here and it's called character. I haven't had a chance to ride my CB500 yet as I have to finish putting it together but will report back on my impression on how it compares with the Guzzi when I have.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 24 Oct 2017, 3:18 am