Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

CB500FA subject to recalls

hollykatew

CB500FA subject to recalls

Post by hollykatew on Mon 14 Aug 2017, 3:47 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm thinking about buying a honda CB500FA (I presently have had a honda cb125e for 3 years) and am DYING to get onto something bigger. However, the model I am loking at is subjected to 2 recalls which the present/original owner has not fixed. Only 7000km on the dial, however I am worried that these recalls make the bike less reliable. I have read this is just a cheap, thai version of the normally reliable japanese honda's?? What a shame...hearing so much about high oil consumption. I need people who are long term riders of the CB500FA (1 yr +) to just comment and say whether this is a bike that doesn't live up to Honda's normal reputation.
Thank you in advance, any comments appreciated.
Holly
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Re: CB500FA subject to recalls

Post by trevor machine on Mon 14 Aug 2017, 4:23 pm

Unfortunately you aren't going to find any long term riders of the CB500FA here because this is a forum dedicated to the '90s CB500.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 14 Aug 2017, 5:57 pm

Hang on one moment I'll call in the seeds of the bad... @badseeds
John_B
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by John_B on Mon 14 Aug 2017, 10:53 pm

There is a thread here about how I switched from a CB500X to one of the older models which this forum covers. (There is a nice CB500X forum which may be worth reading if you are set in a CB500F). The link in my thread to my comparison between the 2014 bike and the 1998 bike shows I like the older one better, and find it a bit quicker, although it cost next to nothing. On the newer bike the build quality is maybe not Honda's best.

Having said that, the CB500X is an excellent bike for the money. If you are buying new or nearly new, and definitely don't want an old bike requiring maintenance, I would be happy to recommend it. It has the ABS which you cannot get on the older models. Build quality will be OK if it is kept somewhere dry. Has radial tyres which probably gives more ultimate road holding than the old models which are favoured here, though I prefer the greater feel of the narrower bias or cross-ply tyres you find on older bikes.

I would not worry about oil consumption. My CB500X was OK. You might always find one which was abused of course, or which is always used for short trips and never gets warm. There are several possible reasons for high oil compsumption.
hollykatew

Post by hollykatew on Tue 15 Aug 2017, 1:32 am

Hi everyone thanks for your replies
I did not realise this was dedicated solely to 90's cb's, I'm based in Australia also and can't find a cb500 forum that's Australian, so assumed this was a uk version!! Thanks John_B for replying in that length - I'm getting a few opinions from here and there so it will be easier to compare.
Thanks again, any more comments welcome
John_B
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by John_B on Tue 15 Aug 2017, 6:43 am

If you buy secondhand you can normallly have any relevant recalls done at a dealer free of charge, at any time, if they have not been done. Most models of cars and motorcycles have some recalls.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 24 Oct 2017, 3:18 am