Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Second helmet choices

muttley1
the 900
the 900

Second helmet choices

Post by muttley1 on Tue 08 Aug 2017, 1:51 pm

Afternoon all,

anyone got a good recommendation for a "second" helmet? I keep a spare in the garage with jacket and boots for those just-nipping-out-to-the-shops moments.
I've an old arai at the moment but its time for something newer, I'm thinking Axces 2 so I can use the visors but £200+, hmmm

cheers

muttley1
Jameshambleton

Re: Second helmet choices

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 08 Aug 2017, 3:38 pm

I love my HJC IS-17 so much so that I've got/had 3. It weighs 1450g, rather quiet and the foam doesn't really degrade though I change my helmet every year due to the milage and the slight knocks it'll get. 

My last one got replaced after having it a week. The bike fell off the paddock stand and it landed on my helmet and it took the full weight of the front end of the bike (the front wheel lifted up in the air). Very little damage to the shell other than a few scuffs that may as well have been done in my topbox. The internal protection did its job perfectly though, having the front of the bike which is easily 100kg + land on it and the helmet having minimal damage. I was very happy with the result especially if my head was in it as it.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Tue 08 Aug 2017, 5:29 pm

Try shark ive had them for years....quiet and comfy and cheap....

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Tue 08 Aug 2017, 5:37 pm

My HJC IS Max flip has also been excellent. About £100, and does what it needs to do.

As someone once told me, if you need to rely on the structural integrity of your helmet, you head is probably detached from your shoulders anyway!
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 08 Aug 2017, 8:59 pm

sullivj wrote:As someone once told me, if you need to rely on the structural integrity of your helmet, you head is probably detached from your shoulders anyway!

Depends if you hit your head against a stonewall or not I guess  Laughing
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Tue 08 Aug 2017, 9:49 pm

I won't comment on any specific brand or the like. In stead I'd like to point your attention to jet helmets. Light, airy good for pillion use - you'd want to go slower anyway, so it's more a matter of conveying a good experience to that young lady you'll be lugging around... Also, going to the shops on a summer afternoon wearing a pisspot lid is an entirely different sensation than wearing a clunky fullface.
I know. Not as safe as the fullface lid. It's a choice you make... However, the experience is quite different Smile

Yes, I have one. Yes, I use it when there's a suitable occasion. And yes, the missus uses it too on that rare occasion when we go together.
For those who would prefer the butch signal value when riding pillion, there's my old flip-up to use. It's had its lining washed recently and there's nowt wrong with it. Helmet linings need washing on a regular basis. When did you wash yours?

So; full-whack flip-up with all the goodies for everyday use + long haul. Jet for leisure/missus. Old flip-up for the macho pillions or backup. Make sense?

@Jameshambleton: Me likes your approach to  the helmet issue. They are a consumable allright. Renew on a regular basis.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Wed 09 Aug 2017, 8:19 am

I'll second that on Jet style. I use one for local runs and the pottering around on hot days. Much more convenient when ducking in and out of shops etc. It is open face but no need to have goggles. However full face only for serious work and weather.

muttley1
the 900
the 900

Post by muttley1 on Wed 09 Aug 2017, 1:14 pm

Hi,
I use a jet lid too, its a £15 lidl one, has all the safety standards and its pretty useful for local trips only. Perhaps a better version is the way forward so will look about for an arai freeway...

Btw, spent 6.5 hours Fri last week under my Arai chaser v and pretty faultless performance from it.

muttley1
TheWizardofOdds
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Thu 10 Aug 2017, 7:22 pm

Don't get the axces II.  I've got one and while it looks good it has those daft plastic aerodynamic add ons that shatter when you drop it,  and you will.  The mechanism at the visor sides are crap too.
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Sun 13 Aug 2017, 11:04 am

Maybe you wouldn't feel so bad about spending big money on a helmet if it became you no. 1 helmet. Then you can relegate your current lid to no. 2 and have a nice new lid to keep your brains safe for everyday riding.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 18 Oct 2017, 5:44 pm