Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

New tires

cebecero
Squiddy
Squiddy

New tires

Post by cebecero on Mon 07 Aug 2017, 6:47 pm

Hi,

I know they are many post about that, but if is useful for someone my experience, i´m happy.

I change my front and rear tires (when i buy my bike, mounts a Pirelli Sport Demon) and decided to put a front 120/70/17 and a 140/70/17 rear. Front Metzeler z6 and rear Bridgestone BT 45.
I put a Metzeler front tire because i read the BT 45 are a bit hard, and in Galicia (my region) many times the weather is cold and rainy and i read good opinions about that tires.
To the rear tire i put the BT 45 because is not a problem (for me) if is harder, i think is most durable.

I make a travel in Portugal with this new tires. 5 days, with bagage and a tent, mountain roads, more or less 1000 Km in total. The conclusion:  i´m very very very happy with the change.
Is true, the bike now is a little bit slower to change direction, but is most stable and comfortable. I find the bike more "on the road" and is a little bit more slower (for me is a good thing because i´m only 1,75 meters tall).

I recommend the tire width change?? Yes, absoluty
I recommend the Metzeler z6?? Yes, absoluty (is a shame not produce a rear 14/70/17)

Hope this is useful for someone Smile

Un saludo!!
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Re: New tires

Post by ANDYC on Mon 07 Aug 2017, 7:29 pm

The Z6 is a radial tyre and won't work properly on the standard wheel as it's not wide enough.
cebecero
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by cebecero on Wed 09 Aug 2017, 6:35 pm

Hi Andyc,
i don´t see this reply first.

When i came to my mechanist to put on the new tires i ask to him, if this radial fix on my CB, and says "no problem".
I ride more or less 1.000 Km with that, and like i said, i feel really well, and looks well to.
What can happen with this tyre? is dangerous? is posible to "go out" of the rim?

Thanks a lot
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Wed 09 Aug 2017, 7:00 pm

If you check with Metzeler for the rim size needed to suit the radial tyre they will probably tell you that it needs to be a 3.5 rim.
cebecero
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by cebecero on Wed 09 Aug 2017, 7:07 pm

I search in the manual this sizes, but i don´t found it.

Did you know the rear and front rim measures??
Thanks!!
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Wed 09 Aug 2017, 7:34 pm

The front is 2.50 and the rear is 3.50.
cebecero
Squiddy
Squiddy