Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Bike won't start

Vulcan88

Bike won't start

Post by Vulcan88 on Sun 06 Aug 2017, 6:00 pm

Hey all, bike was out in torrential rain and it started getting harder and harder to start it each day.

4 days later it's not starting at all. It used to Start after being ridden for an hour or so while it was still hot but now nothing.it bump starts though!!

It cranks and it sparks and there's fuel getting to it but it just won't jump to life - nearly flooded engine a few times.  Changed spark plugs as right one was quite corroded. Drained the carbs but haven't taken them apart yet. Went over all the contacts incase of any exposed or crimped wires - none. 
 Sometimes it sounds like its about to start after holding down the start button but 2 mins then I turn the throttle and it just goes back to sounding like its suffocating. 

Funny thing is when its bumped in 2nd it runs perfectly as long as its on and not turned off. Turn it off and voilà back to same problems again. 

Bike is nearing 50,000 miles and is a 2001 model.
Any advice I would love as the thought of taking it to the shop is killing me lol.
Jameshambleton

Re: Bike won't start

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 06 Aug 2017, 7:03 pm

Check you battery voltage when you press the starter button. If the voltage drops below 10 then you've got a dead cell in your battery and it would need to be replaced. 

Next port of call would be checking the reg/rec with a multimeter and seeing if it's still in spec and what the running voltage is when you've bump started the bike.
Vulcan88

Post by Vulcan88 on Thu 10 Aug 2017, 11:37 pm

New battery put in and new reg rec as well stripped the bike completely and put everything back together and same problem. Bike was riding perfect for my 2 week tour and on the last day the bad rain happened it, just having a hard time figuring out why it bump starts but doesn't electric start Sad
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Fri 11 Aug 2017, 12:05 am

Starter motor brushes.
Vulcan88

Post by Vulcan88 on Fri 11 Aug 2017, 2:14 pm

The starter motor shouldn't be a problem due the engine being cranked  successfully by the starter surely??
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Fri 11 Aug 2017, 3:17 pm

You're correct, I missed that bit.
I can assure you that the mileage isn't a problem. It's probably just run in now at 50k
Does it run smoothly at idle as it should once you have bumped it into life?
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Fri 11 Aug 2017, 3:21 pm

Are your mixture screws still present and correct? 
A long shot but I have known them to unwind themselves.
skyerae
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by skyerae on Sat 12 Aug 2017, 9:05 am

Just a quick question, do both of the exhaust pipes get hot when trying to get her started? I had the same issue but only one of the pipes warmed up and it turned out one of the plug caps was out of specification. Strange thing was that it was still providing voltage to the plug and the plug was firing but not enough to get her running. Just another option to check.
Vardypeeps
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by Vardypeeps on Mon 14 Aug 2017, 12:51 pm

Hmmm, could be the old HT lead/coil issue that AndyC pointed me to with mine, slowly started to get harder and harder to start and ran worst in the rain.
Heard a ticking noise and turned out my coils/ht leads where not sealing correctly discharging the spark on to my frame.

Fixed with the Fireblade stick coil mod suggested by Andy too.

Only other thing I can suggest is water in your fuel but this wouldn't explain why it runs fine sometimes, where as the lead/coil issue above mine ran fine some days and not at all on others.
John_B
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by John_B on Tue 15 Aug 2017, 7:23 am

If water has got into decaying ht leads, sometimes WD40 displaces it. Also on old car distributors. If covering the coils, ht leads and plug caps with WD40 improves things, that is a sign that water is penetrating somewhere. I would be inclined to remove the tank and inspect for damp, including pulling off the plug caps. It will also give a chance to pull out the spark plugs and take a look at them, and test the strength of the spark with them out. Problems with fuel are less common so I would satisfy myself the spark is good before messing with the carbs etc.

Edit -- forgive me if you know this, but it seemed best to point out that checking the spark with the plugs out requires care, especially if there is a risk of fuel vapour hanging around which could ignite.
Vulcan88

Post by Vulcan88 on Fri 18 Aug 2017, 9:57 am

Unfortunately tried everything and finally bit the bullet and handed it over to a shop they say compression is down to 45 & 75. Could be rings or bent valves etc. I said just for them to go ahead and take the head off (haven't owned it long - coming up to 3 months.) I think it needs it shims done too but what a time to think that I suppose. Anyway thanks for all the help guys.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 22 Aug 2017, 6:34 am