Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Tyres, not that one again.... Difference between 110/80 standard and 110/70 most available tyre size?

Vardypeeps
Two Tone
Two Tone

Tyres, not that one again.... Difference between 110/80 standard and 110/70 most available tyre size?

Post by Vardypeeps on Fri 04 Aug 2017, 12:55 pm

I've seen a lot of people mention they have BT 045's fitted to their CB and I've tried the Mitchelin (Favourite Brand) I would like to have a go on these Bridgestones.

The issue I'm having is I don't know what difference the 70 to 80 sidewall makes and most brand come in 110/70 and 130/70...?

Any quick tips appreciated.

I liked the the Mitchelin Active front for feedback but the rear formed cracks at the edge of the tread pattern making the tyre feel looser.
Can't say the front lasted very long but my CB's front brake is a beast so I'm putting it down to  late braking all the time Razz

Thank you,
Rob
Jameshambleton

Re: Tyres, not that one again.... Difference between 110/80 standard and 110/70 most available tyre size?

Post by Jameshambleton on Fri 04 Aug 2017, 1:44 pm

The sidewall is smaller and the overall tyre is smaller. This means that the rolling circumference of the wheel is less than an 80 sized profile. This means that your bike will run at slightly higher revs than normal (if you fit a 70 profile rear) and your (front tyre where the speed is taken from) speedo will over read by 2mph so 62mph on your speedo would usually display as 60mph if you had an 80 profile tyre.
Vardypeeps
Two Tone
Two Tone

Re: Tyres, not that one again.... Difference between 110/80 standard and 110/70 most available tyre size?

Post by Vardypeeps on Fri 04 Aug 2017, 2:35 pm

Jameshambleton wrote:The sidewall is smaller and the overall tyre is smaller. This means that the rolling circumference of the wheel is less than an 80 sized profile. This means that your bike will run at slightly higher revs than normal (if you fit a 70 profile rear) and your (front tyre where the speed is taken from) speedo will over read by 2mph so 62mph on your speedo would usually display as 60mph if you had an 80 profile tyre.

Don't suppose you have any comments on how it affects lean angle?

I'm not going to loose out on angle if I choose a 70 section sidewall? I can make do with the speedo over reading (less chance of a ticket).

Good bit of information there James ta! I didn't think of the whole tyres circumference being changed!
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Fri 04 Aug 2017, 3:09 pm

Vardypeeps wrote:

Jameshambleton wrote:The sidewall is smaller and the overall tyre is smaller. This means that the rolling circumference of the wheel is less than an 80 sized profile. This means that your bike will run at slightly higher revs than normal (if you fit a 70 profile rear) and your (front tyre where the speed is taken from) speedo will over read by 2mph so 62mph on your speedo would usually display as 60mph if you had an 80 profile tyre.

I'm not going to loose out on angle if I choose a 70 section sidewall? I can make do with the speedo over reading (less chance of a ticket).
Good bit of information there James ta! I didn't think of the whole tyres circumference being changed!

Doesn't really from my experience but I don't really scrape the pegs much these days as I'm worn them down to my comfortable limit, toe sliders are a different story however... the turn in speed that really depends on the tyre profile and your riding style. If you're talking about running s20 evo's like me you won't reach the edge of the front tyre. Can't comment on other tyres.
Vardypeeps
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by Vardypeeps on Mon 07 Aug 2017, 1:04 pm

Jameshambleton wrote:

Vardypeeps wrote:

Doesn't really from my experience but I don't really scrape the pegs much these days as I'm worn them down to my comfortable limit, toe sliders are a different story however... the turn in speed that really depends on the tyre profile and your riding style. If you're talking about running s20 evo's like me you won't reach the edge of the front tyre. Can't comment on other tyres.

Perfect!! Thank you!
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Mon 07 Aug 2017, 2:45 pm

Ive had new tyres on the cb 500s  and front is a 110/70/17..... tyre fitter said you wont notice a difference....in fairness ive done 70miles i havent felt a difference....and ive also cb 500v with front 110/80/17....both bt45s
Vardypeeps
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by Vardypeeps on Tue 08 Aug 2017, 2:03 pm

wornsprokets wrote:Ive had new tyres on the cb 500s  and front is a 110/70/17..... tyre fitter said you wont notice a difference....in fairness ive done 70miles i havent felt a difference....and ive also cb 500v with front 110/80/17....both bt45s

Sweet!! Worries put to rest now Smile
Vardypeeps
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by Vardypeeps on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 12:38 pm

Hi guys, turns out my local shop managed to get we the 80 sidewall tyres.

After trying the Michelin Activ's I have a quick review of the Bridgestone BT045s

Louder road rolling noise
Soak up small bumps well compaired to Michelin
More effort required on first steering input but can change line through the corner very easily as they settle when over on the edge
Heat up with almost no effort but be careful bedding them in as the oils etc seem more slippery compaired to other brands

Regrettably saw a CB400 import in the Dales on Monday with some nice adjustable YSS shocks fitted, going to have to buy some now.....
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 1:03 pm

Have look at tec shocks super cheap....work great...ive them 3yrs in cb 500v... ive old yss on my cb 500s....i get three pairs of tec for price of pair of yss.   There not three times better than tec
Vardypeeps
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by Vardypeeps on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 1:05 pm

wornsprokets wrote:Have look at tec shocks super cheap....work great...ive them 3yrs in cb 500v... ive old yss on my cb 500s....i get three pairs of tec for price of pair of yss.   There not three times better than tec

Nice! Thanks for the heads up Smile
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 2:14 pm

Vardypeeps wrote:Regrettably saw a CB400 import in the Dales on Monday with some nice adjustable YSS shocks fitted, going to have to buy some now.....

Wouldn't suppose it was red with a fuel exhaust by chance?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 24 Oct 2017, 1:04 am