You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

starter/ignition 10A fuse blowing

beezedbee

Solved starter/ignition 10A fuse blowing

Post by beezedbee on Wed 02 Aug 2017, 12:25 pm

New member here - be gentle :-)  I've searched for other topics with similar symptoms but not found anything quite right.

After having to park my '02 CB500S in heavy rain, it started fine but then after ~20mins the engine lost power and then cut.  It would not restart, the lights etc. were all ok.

The following day I cracked open the right-hand switch cluster and used electrical contact cleaner to try and displace any water and replaced the starter/ignition 10A fuse which had blown.  It did start but I then switched off again as I had forgotten to put my tools under the seat and the sodding thing then would not start - the 10A fuse appeared to blow when I pressed the starter switch.

Bridging the battery directly to the starter motor started the thing no problem but then after 5 mins riding the engine lost power and cut out -the 10A fuse had popped again.  It feels like an overheating/overcharging type thing - I did recently replace the regulator/rectifier with a pattern part but that worked fine until the rain thing.

Looking at the wiring diagram the circuit of interest appears to be: battery -> 30A fuse -> ignition switch -> 10A fuse -> kill switch -> starter button -> starter relay/solenoid -> clutch switch -> sidestand switch -> ground

so I guess I need to rip it to bits and trace all that; check for worn out bits, shorts, crap connections, ...

what voltage should I see at the battery during charging?  what would be considered too much?

thanks all.
Vardypeeps
Two Tone
Two Tone

Solved Re: starter/ignition 10A fuse blowing

Post by Vardypeeps on Wed 02 Aug 2017, 1:03 pm

All I can suggest as it's been a problem with a few older bikes I have owned is to check your starter relay and main fuse connections.
They tend to become corroded and charge can jump across shorting out the ignition circuit and cutting the bike out (possibly poppin the fuse everytime too?)

Might just be that it's in the kind of spot for the heavy rain to penetrate through the rubber covers etc?
beezedbee

Post by beezedbee on Wed 02 Aug 2017, 4:32 pm

Thanks Vardypeeps.  If the rain stops I might nip down to the garage tonight and poke about a bit!  Update to follow.
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Wed 02 Aug 2017, 7:51 pm

Does it only happen when it's been raining? There should be a small drain hole if I remember correctly. If that is blocked it won't help the contacts in the switchgear. Worth checking before you rear it apart.
beezedbee

Post by beezedbee on Sun 06 Aug 2017, 10:57 pm

Thanks for the useful suggestions - I spent an enjoyable Saturday afternoon:

Draining and removing the tank
  Greasing and adjusting the choke cable
  Cleaning a couple of corroded connectors (alternator and starter relay)

It was only when I went back round the problem circuit that I spotted one of the clutch switch connectors was loose  Rolling Eyes seriously.  Could have saved myself a world of pain if I had thought about that in the first place!

Once that was sorted I ran the bike for a good 15 mins with no problem and then later went out to see a friend's band play prog rock.

Lesson learnt - check the obvious sh1t first.
Vardypeeps
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by Vardypeeps on Mon 07 Aug 2017, 1:05 pm

@beezedbee wrote:Thanks for the useful suggestions - I spent an enjoyable Saturday afternoon:

Draining and removing the tank
  Greasing and adjusting the choke cable
  Cleaning a couple of corroded connectors (alternator and starter relay)

It was only when I went back round the problem circuit that I spotted one of the clutch switch connectors was loose  Rolling Eyes seriously.  Could have saved myself a world of pain if I had thought about that in the first place!

Once that was sorted I ran the bike for a good 15 mins with no problem and then later went out to see a friend's band play prog rock.

Lesson learnt - check the obvious sh1t first.

Sweet! Glad it was an easy fix Smile
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sat 26 Aug 2017, 1:45 pm

Glad to hear it was that easy to fix - the wiring diagram is usually a good start in my experience of fixing these things.

To answer your question, when the bike is revving at (about) 4000 rpm with the headlight *on* you should get a voltage around 14.5 V at the battery.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 22 Jul 2018, 10:07 am