Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

not firing up

lesley1969

not firing up

Post by lesley1969 on Fri 21 Jul 2017, 1:56 pm

Hi, new on here, looking for some help, troubled cb 500 1995, one day bike was going fine, next day, press start button and nothing, not battery, replaced this even tho I never needed to , not relay , replaced this, cant be starter motor? or can it? I jumped the bike using leads and it started up no bother but today I tried again and it never worked, just keep getting clicking noise, ignition lights come on but does not turn, any ideas?
ratatooie
Running out of unique names
Running out of unique names

Re: not firing up

Post by ratatooie on Fri 21 Jul 2017, 2:43 pm

That sounds suspiciously like a battery issue (when you mention the clicking). I'd charge the battery up anyway just to make sure, but when you say you replaced the battery, bear in mind it isn't unheard of for "new" batteries to be toast straight out of the box. 

Have you checked the fuses in the fuse box?

Can you turn the rear wheel when the bike is in say 5th gear while it is on the centre stand (i.e. is the engine seized)?
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Fri 21 Jul 2017, 4:36 pm

Could well be the brushes in the starter motor.
alanp
Rossi
Rossi

Post by alanp on Fri 21 Jul 2017, 5:53 pm

If it jumped using leads that would point to your battery.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sat 22 Jul 2017, 8:12 pm

It can be the starter motor - have you tried walking the bike forward a few paces while in gear? Sometimes shifting the starter to another position can help it out of a rut. Somewhere there is a thread about taking the starter motor apart - it isn't difficult and you can check the brushes while you are at it.
lesley1969

Post by lesley1969 on Mon 07 Aug 2017, 5:49 pm

hi guys , sorry i should have, let yous know instead of saying my "not firing up" problem turned out to be Sticky brushes in the starter motor, thank you ANDYC, was the last thing i tried after a new batter and fuse. lol next time il try there 1st lol

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 24 Oct 2017, 3:19 am