Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Show us your chain oiler.......

jerryfudd

Awesome!

Show us your chain oiler.......

Post by jerryfudd on Wed 19 Jul 2017, 8:07 am

Morning,

I've been running a Tutoro chain oiler on my Street for a year or so and wanted to follow suit and stick one on the CB for ease, well..... lazyiness, I forget plus makes cleaning a doddle as its nowhere near as sticky.

So, mounting locations - any ideas? even if its not a Tutoro

Dan
Jameshambleton

Re: Show us your chain oiler.......

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 19 Jul 2017, 10:59 am

Near side above the side stand along where the vacuum hose goes on the downward section of frame.
TheWizardofOdds
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Wed 19 Jul 2017, 11:03 am

I'll be interested in this as I'm making a right mess of things.  Thought I'd cracked it by buying gear oil and using a small oil can dispenser but I get a long of oil fling on the rear wheel and also the rear tire.  I tried a scottoiler that was on my sv but it never functioned well as it was badly positioned and I ripped it off in anger!
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Wed 19 Jul 2017, 11:52 am

Jameshambleton wrote:Near side above the side stand along where the vacuum hose goes on the downward section of frame.

gotta pic?

Dan
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Wed 19 Jul 2017, 12:04 pm

TheWizardofOdds wrote:I'll be interested in this as I'm making a right mess of things.  Thought I'd cracked it by buying gear oil and using a small oil can dispenser but I get a long of oil fling on the rear wheel and also the rear tire.  I tried a scottoiler that was on my sv but it never functioned well as it was badly positioned and I ripped it off in anger!

White spirit on a cheap sponge with a green scourer on one side. Scrub near side of rear tyre once a fortnight/month.

Alternatively don't bother - I get shit loads of fling on mine, because I apply EP90 pretty much every day. I'm not at all scared to chuck the bike into left handers.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Wed 19 Jul 2017, 12:06 pm

TheWizardofOdds wrote:I'll be interested in this as I'm making a right mess of things.  Thought I'd cracked it by buying gear oil and using a small oil can dispenser but I get a long of oil fling on the rear wheel and also the rear tire.  I tried a scottoiler that was on my sv but it never functioned well as it was badly positioned and I ripped it off in anger!

The Tutoro is pretty good as it isn't done on vacuum or electric, if its spraying too much oil round the place just turn it down a little.

Dan
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Thu 20 Jul 2017, 11:28 am

Loobman fully manual oiler, situated on the frame just below the underseat-luggage-compartment lock.
Can be operated while riding.
Using gear oil.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Thu 20 Jul 2017, 11:36 am

can we get some pics so I can see what mounting points you guys have used....

(....now waiting for the pic of it cable tied to the frame Laughing)
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 20 Jul 2017, 11:57 am

jerryfudd wrote:(....now waiting for the pic of it cable tied to the frame Laughing)

By heck he's right on the money with this one  Laughing That's how mines mounted!
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Thu 20 Jul 2017, 12:26 pm

Loobman installation Pictures.
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Thu 20 Jul 2017, 11:47 pm

The key with gear oil is apply when the chain's hot, let it cool for a good few hours before riding, and don't apply too much. Apparently as the chain cools with oil on it, a vacuum forms in the minute air spaces inside which pulls the oil in. Not sure whether I buy that, but I certainly get loads of fling if I ride straight after applying it, and almost none if I leave it for a while or ideally over night. 

Another tip: I used to find applying gear oil a chore until I watched a youtube video where the guy applied it to the outside of the chain on the back of the rear sprocket. He got loads of flak in the comments saying 'you should apply it to the inside' and he was adamant that it made no difference. Well I've tried it and it doesn't, and it's way easier to do it like this. Although gear oil is quite viscous, it's runny enough to flow all round the links and seals *as long as the chain is hot* when you apply it to the outside. I now actually quite look forward to oiling my chain instead of resenting it, because (a) it's far quicker like this and (b) you can really watch it seeping in and all over the seals which is very satisfying  Laughing
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Fri 21 Jul 2017, 1:50 pm

Many thanks sb Very Happy
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Fri 21 Jul 2017, 2:19 pm

I found that I got a tonne of overspray when I had to use blue scottoil on a setting of 3 than what I did with 70w gear oil on setting 8 .
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Fri 21 Jul 2017, 2:19 pm

Fwiw, I've got about 40k on my current chain and sprockets - and these were on the bike when I bought it (so no knowing quite how many actual miles they've done - I would guestimate that both sprockets and the chain are good for another 10k if not more tbh). I adjust the chain every couple of months, fractionally. I spend less than a minute cleaning w/ parrafin on blue roll, and oiling w/ EP90 after every ride, more often than not before every ride as I can't quite be arsed afterwards most of the time. I just squirt the oil on through the hole provided in the chain guard. It's not that big a chore tbh.

One last thing though - the bike doesn't see a great deal of rain. I think it might be this almost as much as the other stuff mentioned that contributes to longevity.
TheWizardofOdds
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Sun 23 Jul 2017, 12:52 pm

Good stuff. I like to clean the bike and do the chain at the same time so the chains cold when I apply oil. I should do it after I ride but have just always done it as I clean. When I apply it it is left overnight but the next day I arrive at work and the rear tire is very oily. Shaft drive anyone?!...only half joking.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Sun 23 Jul 2017, 1:46 pm

I prefer a lighter bike, a more efficient final drive, and better cornering tbh. ; - )
TheWizardofOdds
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Sun 23 Jul 2017, 9:08 pm

trevor machine wrote:I prefer a lighter bike, a more efficient final drive, and better cornering tbh. ; - )

Fair enough. Thought I'd throw it out there anyway. Plus, you'd more than likely be a beemer rider. Nah.
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Sun 23 Jul 2017, 9:09 pm

I must say I don't know why more bikes don't use belt drive.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sun 23 Jul 2017, 9:12 pm

Before i bought cb 500, i was looking at cs650 it had belt drive.... its a good idea.. but i think... if stones get into belt....it can be trouble
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Mon 24 Jul 2017, 9:16 am

I once found a german company making custom belt drives for bikes. Unfortunately, prices were insane.

The idea, however, is good.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 24 Oct 2017, 1:11 am