Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Motad exhaust

alanp
Rossi
Rossi

Motad exhaust

Post by alanp on Sun 16 Jul 2017, 4:11 pm

Hi, 
MOT this week so having a poke around. My exhaust is blowing slightly at the downpipe to silencer join.
I ordered a gasket on evilbay, but it's way too thick to slot in-between the two tubes.
So just wondering if anyone has a gasket on their Motad systems? If so is it just the standard honda one? I suspect it's thinner than the tat I ordered in haste!
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Re: Motad exhaust

Post by Beresford on Sun 16 Jul 2017, 4:49 pm

I make mine using copper pipe split and hammered around the pipe. A thin smear of gasket goo completes the seal.
Crash- Elmit
Running out of unique names
Running out of unique names

Post by Crash- Elmit on Mon 17 Jul 2017, 2:31 am

Both my Motad systems, the one on the bike and the spare are too tight at the join to need a gasket
alanp
Rossi
Rossi

Post by alanp on Mon 17 Jul 2017, 7:33 pm

Copper pipe sounds inventive! And interesting that others are a tight fit so as not to need a gasket.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Mon 17 Jul 2017, 8:02 pm

alanp wrote:Copper pipe sounds inventive! And interesting that others are a tight fit so as not to need a gasket.

Yep. The exhaust I am using was just too big to be simply bolted up, and too small for the standard gasket tube. So I improvised. The copper is easy to work and adapts well to the circular shape. The only awkward bit is splitting the copper pipe lengthwise - I did it with a hacksaw, then opened it out with pliers and tapped it into shape with a hammer. A small overlap is probably the best, and that can tuck into one of the splits in the outer link tube.
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Thu 20 Jul 2017, 12:21 pm

I don't use a gasket either. Motad downpipes, motad silencer - tight fit. Replace with OE can - tight fit. Replace with Fuel can - tight fit.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sat 22 Jul 2017, 8:34 pm

The original Honda setup required a thick graphite encrusted gasket; most of the aftermarket setups go for a more tight fitting approach. If you are having leak problems then you can use some high-temperature silicone sealant to seal it up.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 21 Sep 2017, 4:38 pm