Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Bike Advice for a Friend

ratatooie
Running out of unique names

Bike Advice for a Friend

Post by ratatooie on Fri 14 Jul 2017, 11:52 am

Hi all,

One of my friends has his big bike test coming up soon. He has been on a CB125F for the past few years and I have every confidence that he will pass. In the IoM you get a CBT, take your big bike test on the 125, when ready, then can ride anything, so the process is a little different over here - no messing about with A2 etc. Note though that he will be limited to 50mph for the first year, since we have the "R" plate system here for those just passed. 

He has a budget of no more than £2k assuming he gets a decent price when he sells his 125 on. It has been a good while since I was in his position. He is not interested in a supersports, but wants something more upright that he can grow into, so I'm thinking more naked. A CB500 would be perfect, but I think he has his eyes on something a bit more new and "exciting" and has aspirations to tour across in the UK (so reliable and fine to cruise at motorway speeds).

I think he should be able to get a mint Blandit for that money or a decent SV650. I have also recommended my Striple, but they are mostly out of his budget I think, as are the newer MT07/09. 

To a certain extent it will depend what comes up on the IoM. Importing a bike from the UK isn't difficult, but is a bit of a faff, what with the "super MOT" here, getting it on the boat etc. I'd be interested to hear what you would recommend he go for?
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Re: Bike Advice for a Friend

Post by ANDYC on Fri 14 Jul 2017, 2:15 pm

What could possibly be more exciting than a lovely CB500?!!
ratatooie

Post by ratatooie on Fri 14 Jul 2017, 3:54 pm

ANDYC wrote:What could possibly be more exciting than a lovely CB500?!!

I know! His words - said while viewing the progress on my project no less! Maybe I shouldn't help him after all...  Razz
arrison
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by arrison on Fri 14 Jul 2017, 4:09 pm

600 Fazer.
alanp
Rossi
Rossi

Post by alanp on Fri 14 Jul 2017, 4:49 pm

If it's not a CB5 then I'd be looking at Fazers, Hornets,  SV's etc as well. Fazer would be my pick of the bunch,  but good ones are becoming rare. (You need to ask Fazer owners about the front sprocket nut...a known issue and very frequently bodged!).
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Fri 14 Jul 2017, 5:11 pm

wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Fri 14 Jul 2017, 7:12 pm

Hornet 600 unburstable engine....  or even hornet s for bit of touring....with top fairing
TheWizardofOdds
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Sat 15 Jul 2017, 9:43 pm

I've got a 2003 'curvy' sv650s. This is the bike believe me.  If not a cb that is.  It's quick enough for the vast majority of us,  it's torquey,  light,  loads of parts available.  Fantastic to ride and very comfortable actually.  It only costs a grand. Cheap insurance,  fit a new rear shock and get new fork springs at the front and apparently it's even better.  I absolutely love mine and keep threatening to sell and just have the cb but no way.  Also 60 mpg,  ridiculous really.
John_B
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by John_B on Sun 16 Jul 2017, 8:14 am

Deauville or Burgman + luggage? Not a joke.

ratatooie wrote:A CB500 would be perfect, but I think he has his eyes on something a bit more new and "exciting" and has aspirations to tour across in the UK (so reliable and fine to cruise at motorway speeds).

That's inexperience talking. Maybe it is easier for a stranger to point that out than a mate. On mod 2 I doubt you ever hit power band.

For touring UK, experience would be asking different questions. Like, how long can you ride the bike without pain or cramp? How stable is the bike on a windy flyover? Do you have enough wind protection?

Still, I am sure the SV / Hornet / Fazer are also good.
ZekeVal
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by ZekeVal on Sun 16 Jul 2017, 9:40 am

My 2 pennies, but Fazer and Hornet are 100hp bikes; which might be a tad too much for a first bike.

I myself considered the Fazer as a serious contender for its price, reliability and ability for touring(ish), but I'm glad I went for the CB as my first bike, seeing how easily you can get in trouble with less than 60hp (and I'm not specifically a wreckless rider, actually more on the cautious side)!!

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Sun 16 Jul 2017, 11:33 am

Cbf600. Indestructible and the fairing will be good for his motorway trips.
ratatooie

Post by ratatooie on Mon 17 Jul 2017, 4:10 pm

Thank you all for your responses. Very helpful and sensible!

I remember when I passed the test in the UK back before the A2 hurdles, so I could theoretically ride anything that I could afford to get insured on. However, I only had eyes for two bikes - a WR250 supermoto or a DRZ 400 SM. I bought the first one that came up and still have it to this day. Awesome little bikes that are so fun to ride and throw around town, B roads etc. It also meant that I was able to experience the wide eye'd glee of cracking open the throttle on a larger capacity bike for the first time again and again over the years.

He doesn't seem to be as single minded as I was, so hopefully should take my (your) recommendations on board. I'll be interested to see what he ends up going for.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 24 Oct 2017, 1:08 am