Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Diode Mod

ratatooie
Running out of unique names

Diode Mod

Post by ratatooie on Wed 12 Jul 2017, 11:45 am

Hi all,

I am in the process of installing LED strips for the indicators on the project bike and the original bike being the drum, naked version, means that of course all indicators flash at once. From my Googling and a search of these forums (and a bit of an understanding of how Honda has done their circuitry) I have worked out that I need to do the Diode Mod.

My questions are probably a bit noddy, but:

1. does it matter which of the other lights you feed off? I was planning to feed off the ground wire on the neutral light because, while it it not directly beside the indicator light (the high beam one is), the wires for the neutral light and the indicator both feed into the same red wiring harness connector so I think this would be neater.

2. does it matter which of the indicator light wires I use to attach the two diodes to? Looking at the wiring diagram I would think not.

Cheers!
cebecero
Squiddy
Squiddy

Re: Diode Mod

Post by cebecero on Wed 12 Jul 2017, 2:40 pm

Hi, 

i´m in the same situation of you... but can´t help a lot.

In a spanish forum i read we need to attach one of the idicator lamp wire in a MASA wire from other indicator lamp (i dont know how MASA says in english). I think this wire is the one who go to the fuse box.
In the other indicator lamp wire the diodes together in a side and the two diode finaly with the two wires we cut from the indicator lamp.

The first link you put i think splains very well, but i think is important to attach the wire without diodes to this MASA wire.

I wait for some other opinions.... i not know to much about electrics..... Smile

un saludo!!
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 12 Jul 2017, 9:11 pm

I'm pretty sure that MASA means 'mass', which in this case means 'ground' or 'earth' or on our bikes, the frame or engine and/or battery negative connection...

As far as I know it shouldn't matter which ground connection you use as long as it is connected directly to ground not via a switch or anything else that might f*ck things up :)

The diodes means that the current in the idiot light can only flow in one direction which is what stops all the indicators flashing at once.
cebecero
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by cebecero on Wed 12 Jul 2017, 10:20 pm

Hi eternally_troubled,

is like you says, only is necessary find this mass wire and use it.
When i have time i try to put, and let´s see Smile

Now i put off the front panel indicator light bulb, and works almost fine (works the side i want, but it doesn´t stop blinking completely). This diods and put again the light bulb should work

Last edited by cebecero on Wed 12 Jul 2017, 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : word error)
ratatooie

Post by ratatooie on Mon 17 Jul 2017, 5:05 pm

Right I can report back that the diode mod works absolutely fine with the approach that I suggested above. Both indicators work as they should. I will update my project thread in more detail and with pictures a bit later.

Cheers!
cebecero
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by cebecero on Wed 19 Jul 2017, 5:04 pm

Ohhh nice!!!

Where can i see this pictures and process?

Cheers!
ratatooie

Post by ratatooie on Thu 20 Jul 2017, 4:38 pm

cebecero wrote:Ohhh nice!!!

Where can i see this pictures and process?

Cheers!

I have a project build thread over in the blogs section of the site HERE. It has been going on for a while, but I am slowly knocking things off the list. It has been a big undertaking, but I enjoy it nevertheless!

I will update the thread with pictures of the recent updates when I can and after this weekend, as I hope to take a few more steps forward on it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 20 Sep 2017, 3:42 pm