Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

End to End

Basil Moss
the 900
the 900

End to End

Post by Basil Moss on Mon 10 Jul 2017, 10:56 am

I spent the weekend motorbiking - met two friends in Bristol, one of whom had ridden up from Devon on a CG125. We then went to the Ace for a cup of T, long way for a brew but worth it. Rode back to Brizzle on Sunday then headed back to Nottingham today. It was quite fun pootling along at CG125 speeds, taking the scenic route. Anyway, it got me thinking, I should have a go at the End to End some time.

I've had a few ideas. Either set off very early before dawn, or even head down to Lands End the morning after a night shift, sleep the rest of the day then ride the next night so I have daylight for the nice roads in Scotland. Not sure how long it will take me, and I'm kind of wondering if, after getting to John O'Groats, I'd have time to get back on the bike and do another 150 miles to get an Iron Butt award...?

Any suggestions? Anyone done it? Anyone want to join me for some/all of it?
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Re: End to End

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 12 Jul 2017, 7:48 pm

Never done it, never even thought about doing it. So don't take any advice from me Smile

There are, however, lots of people who have done such things, so someone will have some better advice.

Part of me wanders if there are suitably spaced petrol stations any more (given a CB500 won't do much more than 200 maybe 220 miles to a tank) - you might have to plan where to fill up in advance but this isn't exactly a big problem (unless you run out!).
ratatooie
Running out of unique names
Running out of unique names

Post by ratatooie on Thu 13 Jul 2017, 9:40 am

I've done a few long distance days, but not on the CB500, given it is still in bits. The main things that I learned are that you better make sure you are happy with your seat as that was the principle thing that led to me stopping every so often. Admittedly this was on the DRZ, which isn't exactly known for its soft seat, but the point stands. Aftermarket seat toppers can be found all over the place and are relatively inexpensive. I have heard good things about the products by a company called Airhawk. 

For timing, each year I used to run a minibus down overnight from Aberdeen to Newquay, which is about 666 miles and took us 16 hours. We also used to go from Aberdeen to Thurso a few times a year and that took us probably just under 5 hours. Granted we never got much above 80mph in the minibus, but that gives you an indication. I would say that the roads up around the north of Scotland, while beautiful, require a good amount of concentration so bear that in mind if you think you will be fatigued.
alanp
Rossi
Rossi

Post by alanp on Fri 14 Jul 2017, 4:40 pm

I did it about 20 years ago on a Hinckley Triumph Trident 900 - unfaired. I started and finished from Birmingham (smack bang in the middle, so not too dissimilar from a Cambridge start, if that's where you are). 
I had a vague plan to avoid motorways as much as possible. 
When it started to get towards evening I started to look for a bed and breakfast type place. As a last minute thought I also strapped a tent to the pillion seat.

It was a lovely, memorable, random road trip.

I think I took 4 days. I used a friends house near Bristol, one or two b&b's and I had to break out the tent in deepest Scotland. 

Would be similar riding experience on a CB... I cruised at 70 to keep the fatigue down. Tank range was similar at about 200 miles and I had no problems between fuel stations. 

A trip that lives long in my biking memory. Have fun and enjoy it!
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sat 15 Jul 2017, 8:31 am

I've done a few 400-450 mile days and 9+ hours in the saddle, it does get to you from a mental point of view... or lack of as you're half asleep. Your neck will get you and will hurt a lot if you're not use to the mileage, I regularly can do over 250 miles a day with no issues but after 300 your neck starts aching like you've never worn a helmet before. After a couple of 400 mile days your neck does quickly strengthen up.
TheWizardofOdds
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Wed 19 Jul 2017, 11:11 am

Basil Moss wrote:I spent the weekend motorbiking - met two friends in Bristol, one of whom had ridden up from Devon on a CG125. We then went to the Ace for a cup of T, long way for a brew but worth it. Rode back to Brizzle on Sunday then headed back to Nottingham today. It was quite fun pootling along at CG125 speeds, taking the scenic route. Anyway, it got me thinking, I should have a go at the End to End some time.

I've had a few ideas. Either set off very early before dawn, or even head down to Lands End the morning after a night shift, sleep the rest of the day then ride the next night so I have daylight for the nice roads in Scotland. Not sure how long it will take me, and I'm kind of wondering if, after getting to John O'Groats, I'd have time to get back on the bike and do another 150 miles to get an Iron Butt award...?

Any suggestions? Anyone done it? Anyone want to join me for some/all of it?
Good luck with that! 

I'd definitely join up around Carlisle/Moffat and ride with you for a bit.  As long as you don't look closely at my bike! 
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Thu 20 Jul 2017, 11:56 am

Go for it Smile

I've done a SaddleSore1000 as part of a vacation, and it was an experience.

I assume you're aiming for this one.

If you plan to apply for an IBA membership, you may want to investigate whether the EndToEnd is valid qualification. The IBA FAQ has this to say:
How do I become a member? In order to become a member, you need to complete and have certified one of our long distance rides, the shortest of which is the Saddlesore 1000 (1,000 miles in 24 hours or less).

In case you elect to go, do your preparations properly: Get the paperwork done right and setup bike + yourself
Paperwork
IBA Archive of Wisdom
The bike? Just get on and go* - it's a Honda.

Seat: That varies I guess. I did +1800 km in one go on a completely standard seat and didn't think much of it. A bigger nuisance was leg cramps.

One thing I would like to mention here: If you decide to ride on into the night, be wary that fatigue will set in around 2 AM. Accept it, get yourself a RedBull at the next petrol station and do a little gymnastics before getting back on the bike. As the sky brightens, the RedBull will wear off but you'll remain awake and alert because your body 'sees' the new day.

*) Provided the bike is in normal working order - meaning you'd want to risk taking it going for a job interview or summat equally important.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 24 Oct 2017, 1:16 am