Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Passenger footrest melting

Baddi
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Passenger footrest melting

Post by Baddi on Sat 01 Jul 2017, 5:59 pm

Hello there.
The passanger footrest is made of some sort of plastic, possibly to be low-friction, cheap, light and self-lubricating but it causes an issue. 

Now in the hot weather the heat from my silencer travels up through the shaft and into the plastic, causing it to melt and drip down on my silencer. 

Does anyone have a fix for this or know of any good, affordable, passenger footrests which will not have this issue? 

And now for some pictures of the carnage. As you can see on the last picture, the bending moment of having my girlfriends foot on the footrests will soon break the footrest, which will most likely happen when she is mounting the bike or in a braking situation and thus it will cause a dangerous situation for both her, me and the bike. 

Thanks in advance, 
Sebastian. Smile
Vardypeeps
Two Tone
Two Tone

Re: Passenger footrest melting

Post by Vardypeeps on Tue 04 Jul 2017, 1:43 pm

I think it's just a case that your pillion footpeg rubber has past it's sell by date, mine has a similar mark on the exhaust but it's rust from the metal inner (no signs of the rubber melting?).

If it carries on try some generic alloy footpegs.
ZekeVal
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by ZekeVal on Tue 04 Jul 2017, 5:21 pm

Hello there,

I had a hard time believing that they would make such a critical component in plastic, so I went ahead and checked my bike, and it's definitely metal under the paint (good old steel according to my trusty magnet).

My bet is that nasty black stain is from the rubber degrading (how old is it, 20+ years??).

So I'd try changing the rubber and lubing up the joint with your preferred lubricant to prevent corrosion.

Hope that helps.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 04 Jul 2017, 9:30 pm

I'm pretty sure it it is not plastic.

Is the foot rest bracket rubbing on the silencer? That looks a bit like aluminium dust...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 19 Sep 2017, 7:48 pm