Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Cb500 air filter bolts

Leonviper25

Cb500 air filter bolts

Post by Leonviper25 on Thu 29 Jun 2017, 10:09 pm

Not sure if anyone's had this problem before. I've started servicing my 1998 cb500 which all went fine aside from the air filter. The airbox bolts/screws spin inside the actual airbox, I've tried everything I can think of... Not sure if anyone's had the same issue or has any ideas please?

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Re: Cb500 air filter bolts

Post by sullivj on Fri 30 Jun 2017, 7:08 am

It's a common problem unfortunately. The brass captive nuts spin inside the plastic housing.

I've seen people cut them off, and then glue raw plugs into the holes, which they then screw into.

I would carefully drill the heads off, remove the rest of the thread and then see if I could araldite the brass captives back in place.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.
ZekeVal
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by ZekeVal on Fri 30 Jun 2017, 10:20 am

Had the same issue on one of the nuts.
The method I was successful with was, if I recall correctly:

- Applying the tip of a soldering iron on the head of the screw for a while to heat up and soften up the plastic around the captive brass nut.

- Then pulling on the screw with a pair of locking pliers/vise-grips (whatever you call them). It came right off.

You can then unscrew it in a vise or other, and later put back the captive brass nut with some glue.
Apply some grease on the screw to avoid it seizing for your next air filter change.

Last edited by ZekeVal on Fri 30 Jun 2017, 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Fri 30 Jun 2017, 1:12 pm

^ What ZekeVal said. And use epoxy.
Leonviper25

Post by Leonviper25 on Fri 30 Jun 2017, 2:00 pm

Thanks for the advise. Think I'll try the solder iron, seems easiest option. Never had any issues fitting an air filter before.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 04 Jul 2017, 9:23 pm

I'm afraid that this is one of those things that happens on this bike - esp. if the air filter has been left unattended for a while. Good advise above on what to do about it...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 21 Sep 2017, 6:37 pm