Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Bridgestone S20 Evo tyres

Jameshambleton

Bridgestone S20 Evo tyres

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 19 Jun 2017, 11:20 pm

I think I've done enough miles to have a decent review and perspective of these tyres so here you go. 

Sizes 
 I run a 110/70/17 front and a 140/70/17 rear as they are the closest to stock as you can get. 

Cost
They're also cheaper than the bt45's too at £120-130 a pair rather than £150. 

Tyre profile 
The profile is much more "aggressive" so they'll tip into corners much more easily too, but they're much more stable on the edge of the tyre than the bt45's 

Mileage 
Due to the nature of the tyre profile you tend to use different areas of the tyre more than the bt45 due to the curvature of it. The bt45 is very flat in regards to this so it very quickly squares off even at the higher recommended pressure of 38 cold. I found I get a good few thousand miles out of a rear where as the bt45 i could eat through in just about 3k miles. 

I'm sure I'm missing a lot of points but if anyone has any questions about them I'll reply when I can.
sullivj
the 900
the 900

Re: Bridgestone S20 Evo tyres

Post by sullivj on Tue 20 Jun 2017, 2:18 pm

How many times have they thrown you off?clown
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 20 Jun 2017, 2:45 pm

@sullivj wrote:How many times have they thrown you off?clown

None, it was always my own error and never had an issue with the tyre themselves.
ZekeVal
Rossi
Rossi

Post by ZekeVal on Tue 20 Jun 2017, 3:59 pm

Interesting, might go for those once my BT45s are toasted.

Otherwise, I've noticed tiny cracks appearing on the BT45s after just a few month (especially on the front), which is something I wouldn't expect from a less than a year old tyre (I did check the manufacturing date, they were new). Do you see this as well on S20s?

muttley1
the 900
the 900

Post by muttley1 on Tue 20 Jun 2017, 6:59 pm

Various tyre related threads on here comparing their attributes. Imo it all depends on how you ride and the roads you ride on. Bt 45's are the choice for most folks, most of the time but if you ride quickly and use the handling then the evo's are worth a look for spring/summer.

S20 evo's were the control tyre in the Thundersport/New Era series a couple of years ago, the sizes in the original post are the ones used iirc. They are a sports tyre not a dual compound road one.

You'll find the tyres steeper profiled than the bt45's, great in the dry, ok in the wet, marginal in the winter and relatively quick to replace.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Wed 21 Jun 2017, 10:17 am

I want a tyre that works brilliantly on dry smoothe tarmac, loose gravel, mud, leaf slime, diesel, ice, wet concrete and dust - and which lasts for ever of course. pirat
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 26 Jun 2017, 7:26 am

@ZekeVal wrote:Interesting, might go for those once my BT45s are toasted.

Otherwise, I've noticed tiny cracks appearing on the BT45s after just a few month (especially on the front), which is something I wouldn't expect from a less than a year old tyre (I did check the manufacturing date, they were new). Do you see this as well on S20s?

I also had the same issues with bt45's with both the front and rear tyre getting cracks in the tread. 

Various tyre related threads on here comparing their attributes. Imo it all depends on how you ride and the roads you ride on. Bt 45's are the choice for most folks, most of the time but if you ride quickly and use the handling then the evo's are worth a look for spring/summer.

S20 evo's were the control tyre in the Thundersport/New Era series a couple of years ago, the sizes in the original post are the ones used iirc. They are a sports tyre not a dual compound road one.

You'll find the tyres steeper profiled than the bt45's, great in the dry, ok in the wet, marginal in the winter and relatively quick to replace.

If milage in a concern it depends how you ride, in the 4 days I rode in scotland the tyre lasted maybe 1300 miles on the rear, which is the shortest I've ever had out of a rear, but I usually get a good few thousand even when commuting and the sides of the tyre can wear very quickly. Now so far in europe of just motorway running and a little bit of town riding I've just worked out that so far I've done 878 miles and the tyre has hardly worn but is starting to square off slightly though this is only visible. 
I want a tyre that works brilliantly on dry smoothe tarmac, loose gravel, mud, leaf slime, diesel, ice, wet concrete and dust - and which lasts for ever of course. pirat 

not sure if they're any good on mud, I'll try to go green laning for you  Wink

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 29 Jun 2017, 5:12 pm