Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

High temps, air and bike

RustyRed
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

High temps, air and bike

Post by RustyRed on Mon 19 Jun 2017, 4:34 pm

Hey guys,

I know the cb500 likes to run cool. But today my temp gauge rose and my fan came on quite quickly during a short ride. 

My rides are usually quite short, about 8 - 10 miles. The bike stays nice and cool while on the motorway and clear A roads but once I get into town and have to deal with traffic and lights the temp rises quickly, usually in the last 5 minutes of my commute. The fan comes on and does cool the engine down but it's not long before the fan is back on again.

Today it's around 30 degrees and I rode 3 miles in about 15 minutes. The temp gauge has gone the highest it's ever gone (not up into the red though) and the fan seemed to be always on. The fan managed to bring the temp down just before I parked up.

Is this normal behaviour on such a hot day or should I try and flush the cooling system or could this be something else like a faulty water pump? I changed the coolant a while back and am now wondering if I've got an air bubble in there somewhere.

Thanks for your opinions.

-Greg
Jameshambleton

Re: High temps, air and bike

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 19 Jun 2017, 7:11 pm

Mines been doing the same, my thermo switch is 100c-on and gets about 3/4th of the way up the gauge before coming on but my system is mainly water at this point rather then a 50/50 mix as it should be.
Fair Weather Rider
Running out of unique names
Running out of unique names

Post by Fair Weather Rider on Mon 19 Jun 2017, 7:21 pm

Mine does the same in traffic, it clicks in and out quite regularly, I have fitted an override switch so that I can leave it switched on if I think it is not cooling enough.
But as you say they normally run cool on a run.
No worries summer will be over by the weekend.

Happy Days.
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Mon 19 Jun 2017, 9:28 pm

Interesting. My fan thermo switch is an aftermarket one that I bought for cheap on ebay. I noticed that it turns the fan on about 1/4 on the temp gauge. After that it never gets past 1/3, even today in London rush hour commuting for 20 miles. The fan is almost constantly on though which I don't consider to be a problem. I think the charging system is more than capable of running it for extended periods.

Also, Mr Honda has done his research and the bike is actually running within specified temperature all the way until it gets into the red so don't worry if you are getting up there on the dial.
RustyRed
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by RustyRed on Mon 19 Jun 2017, 10:58 pm

Cheers guys.

I'll not let it worry me until it gets close to the red.

I'll also make sure my coolant mixture doesn't stray too far from 50/50.   Very Happy

-Greg
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 19 Jun 2017, 11:07 pm

The only "real" issue with running at high temps is the additional pressure that is put on the hose clamps and the additional pressure on the headgasket.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 21 Nov 2017, 9:06 pm