Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

First Track Day

Basil Moss
the 900
the 900

First Track Day

Post by Basil Moss on Mon 12 Jun 2017, 7:40 am

So yesterday I headed to Mallory Park with my brother for my first track day. Had an absolutely cracking time, such a thrill! I think I was one of the faster riders in the Novice group, probably because of the awesome corner speeds you can hold on the CB500.

Problems:
1) I grated my footpegs down to almost nothing. The bobbin is totally gone on the right and the peg itself is getting smaller. Shocked
2) I dropped it on the "Devils Elbow" hairpin when after getting knee and peg down, I got the exhaust down too affraid and it picked the back wheel up. No real damage and I was able to ride the final session, but a nuisance that the silencer limits my lean angle like that.

So, I want to do another track day. I looked at the rearset pegs the CB500 race chaps had, but the problem is that looses the passenger pegs (I do lots of two up riding), and I'd need a new hanger for the end can. I'd be able to rotate the can higher though, so wouldn't be limited by it, so they would obviously be the best option over the "adjustable" pegs I've seen.

Any suggestions? Could I instead get a smaller silencer? Or is there a way I could shift the entire stock footpeg arrangement an inch higher?

Anyway track days are fantastic fun and I'll recommend them to anyone.
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Re: First Track Day

Post by geewhizz on Mon 12 Jun 2017, 9:02 am

Glad you enjoyed the track day despite the off. I was worried about the exhaust grounding too and found the cheapest/easiest way to get the pegs up a bit is to make raiser plates out of a strip of aluminium bar either side. basically drill two clearance holes to bolt the plate to the existing hanger mounts on the frame and drill two clearance wholes an inch or two higher up to fix the hangers to the aluminium. you'll need 2 new bolts and nuts for this. can post a pic from my bike later if it would help with the explanation. you may find the centre stand rubs on the chain after but easily addressed with some additional material fixed to the stopper on the link pipe.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Mon 12 Jun 2017, 3:56 pm

Haven't seen you for a millennium or nine - great that you've still got the 500. From what you say it sounds like you were showing some of the power rangers that the old CB shouldn't necessarily be underestimated!
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Mon 12 Jun 2017, 8:24 pm

Well done basil, sounds like you had great time bar droping the cb,   would you get a rough cb and turn it into a track bike? Ive yet to do a track day but i know i be in safe hands with cb on track. Jameshambleton mite be able to sourse the parts you need (he knows a lot of racers in thundersport 500)
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Mon 12 Jun 2017, 9:16 pm

well that's what mine is going to be  a track bike a guy from leeds bought it and he said he already had three of them Smile
Basil Moss
the 900
the 900

Post by Basil Moss on Mon 12 Jun 2017, 9:37 pm

Hi Trevor, yeah I'm still going. Just being eaten by my job that's all, so very little time to post on here. I'm putting in the miles on it too - took it to Edinburgh for the week before.

Geewhizz, your plan sounds good, I'd really appreciate a picture too - does it raise the can higher up as well then? I need to keep the passenger pegs really, and can't afford the time or space or money to keep another bike right now.
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Post by geewhizz on Mon 12 Jun 2017, 10:00 pm

forgot my login details for the picture file sharing. can you pm your email and i'll send pics over.

re (my fuel) can - it does lift it up a bit as the bracket which holds the can is linked to the hanger near the passenger footrest. so providing you raised the pegs up enough the exhaust should follow. you might need to rotate the link pipe round a bit too if memory serves...
Basil Moss
the 900
the 900

Post by Basil Moss on Wed 14 Jun 2017, 7:32 pm

PM Sent. Thanks!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 28 Jun 2017, 6:29 am