Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Real problem need some advice please

Cally4x4
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Real problem need some advice please

Post by Cally4x4 on Thu 08 Jun 2017, 3:40 pm

Hi all after having problems with getting my bike running I fixed a coil problem but the bike still won't run today I opened the airbox to spray some easy start in and oil flashed out it was very watery but there was loads of it the filter was soaked and left me stumped why it would be in there. 
Has anyone got any ideas is it time for a new bike?

Cheers
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Re: Real problem need some advice please

Post by skyrider on Thu 08 Jun 2017, 3:56 pm

well for a start throw the easy start in the bin I wouldn't use that stuff on any vehicle Neutral
Cally4x4
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by Cally4x4 on Thu 08 Jun 2017, 4:26 pm

True but it would have told me if it was a fuel or electrical problem but it seems I've got a much bigger problem guessing the rings have given out for oil to find its way in there
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Thu 08 Jun 2017, 4:49 pm

Did someone  soak air filter in oil...?     easy start only any use if hard to start engine with next to no compression....   cb engines are near bullet proof.... there a little drain hole pipe that drain out old oily water.... but there shouldnt be loads in it.... i take out plugs clean then... put them back in...and make sure battery is good it should start up
Cally4x4
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by Cally4x4 on Thu 08 Jun 2017, 4:59 pm

No one put oil on the filter I've had the bike 17 years I don't know why there was so much oil in there the drain pipe must be blocked. I've had the plugs out cleaned them up popped them back in and it fired for a few seconds had another look at the plugs and they are wet with a oil like substance cleaned and put back but the battery is running low is would start giving it a boost now
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Thu 08 Jun 2017, 5:08 pm

Theres a bung in drain pipe! Is you fuel tap working correctly does your engine oil smell of petrol?
Cally4x4
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by Cally4x4 on Thu 08 Jun 2017, 6:41 pm

@wornsprokets wrote:Theres a bung in drain pipe! Is you fuel tap working correctly does your engine oil smell of petrol?

So there is Rolling Eyes forgot all about that lol
So I removed the airbox completely and low and behold it's running I let it tick over for a while but shut it off as there is no filter to the inlet I'll check it again tomorrow if all goes well I'll order so new parts plus I need to service the tank as rust is getting passed the inline filter Crying or Very sad Will post back tomorrow how I get on 
Thanks for your help today dude
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 08 Jun 2017, 7:10 pm

Check the oil level in the engine, overfilling the engine with oil in extreme cases will force oil past the rings and into the combustion chamber. 

Your issue may be the residue that maybe left in the airbox from not removing and draining the drain bung on the hose as @wornsprockets said. Doing lots of short journeys will help to bung this up too. 

The piston rings aren't entire rings they're cut to allow for contraction and expansion with the rising temps of the engine.
Cally4x4
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by Cally4x4 on Sun 11 Jun 2017, 7:48 am

So it continues lol the bike did start the next day and again I let it warm up before switching it off I had a quick cup of coffee before I started putting it all back together so maybe 5 minutes switched off then tried to start again just to be sure but it wouldn't fire up
After trying a few things checking the fuel line emptying the carbs out I looked at the spark plugs and they were both wet so I cleaned them up popped them back in at the bike fired into life so again I let it run for a bit then shut it off left it for 5 or 10 minutes came back and no start checked plug wet again ?? I just can't work this bike out

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Sun 11 Jun 2017, 8:42 am

Are you sure your battery's 100%? May be worth putting a new one on, just to rule it out.
Cally4x4
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by Cally4x4 on Sun 11 Jun 2017, 10:20 am

I have been thinking about the battery but it turns over at a good speed and it seems to let me keep the engine turning over for a fair time before running down might hook it to a car battery just to rule it out. I've tested the leads with a meter and they seem OK going by Haynes numbers. My next idea is to reset the mixture as it smelt rich but that could be down to the carbs having no filter box at the moment
Cally4x4
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by Cally4x4 on Sun 11 Jun 2017, 3:04 pm

Been thinking and think I'll change the plugs over they aren't old but where they have been covered a few times they could be shot also thinking of doing Andyc's mod for the stick coils
Cally4x4
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by Cally4x4 on Sun 11 Jun 2017, 5:57 pm

Ok had a play again it's sparking ok on both sides with the plugs on and with the tester on but only one side is firing but both plugs are getting wet!!!! Don't get it if it's got a spark and fuel why won't it start. 

With it running on one cylinder if there was no compression in the other cylinder would I oil light come on?
skyerae
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by skyerae on Mon 12 Jun 2017, 6:02 am

I had the same issue, only one cylinder firing at one stage and then if died and refused to start. With plugs out and earthed to head both were sparking fine. But when installed No.2 was not firing. Checked spark plug cap against Haynes Misinformation manual and the cap was out of specifications. The other cap and both leads were in spec so ordered two new caps from Fowlers and replaced one cap and it was working fine. Replaced the other one as it was the same age (23 years old) and was likely to go the same way sometime soon.
Cally4x4
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by Cally4x4 on Mon 12 Jun 2017, 6:51 am

@skyerae wrote:I had the same issue, only one cylinder firing at one stage and then if died and refused to start. With plugs out and earthed to head both were sparking fine. But when installed No.2 was not firing. Checked spark plug cap against Haynes Misinformation manual and the cap was out of specifications. The other cap and both leads were in spec so ordered two new caps from Fowlers and replaced one cap and it was working fine. Replaced the other one as it was the same age (23 years old) and was likely to go the same way sometime soon.

Cheers I'll check the caps again just in case it's a intermittent break in the lead
Cally4x4
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by Cally4x4 on Mon 12 Jun 2017, 10:10 pm

Well checked the ht leads again this time pulled them apart re gapped the plugs but by eye till I had the best spark I could get and she started but what's best is 25 minutes later she started again I'll give her another try tomorrow but starting after being run is the best it's been so I've got my fingers crossed. 
Thanks for all the help and support I'll post back with tomorrow's news
Cally4x4
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by Cally4x4 on Tue 13 Jun 2017, 10:35 pm

Ok I don't want to talk to soon as I've not done a test ride but so few so good starting every time so far woohoo

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 21 Nov 2017, 9:13 pm