Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Wheel and Tyre sizes

Grarea
Running out of unique names

Wheel and Tyre sizes

Post by Grarea on Thu 08 Jun 2017, 3:30 pm

I know this has been covered quite a bit, but can it be summarised for me please?

I do like the look of wider tyres and I see that you can fit a little wider on the same rim.
I liked the look of it on my Hornet 600.

Then I see that you can fit a wider rim (I think I read it was an old cbr wheel (not entirely sure))

So, am I right in thinking that wider rims equals more weight, so not so good?

What are the handling pros and cons of a wider tyre on our CB5s?

Why do it? I feel like it would give better grip in corners, but I don't really know.
I also read that it makes them less nimble.

I have a lot of little lanes around me and like the nimbleness of it at the moment.

Or is it all about what tyre you have / want and get the wheel that fits that?
Jameshambleton

Re: Wheel and Tyre sizes

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 08 Jun 2017, 6:30 pm

Right so here we go then....

Yes you can fit a wider rim and yes the cbr600f2 also uses a 130 rear tyre so changing the wheel to that is possible but it's a massive pain in the arse as you need custom spacers made up as the hub width is different and IIRC a custom rear caliper bracket welding onto the swingarm. This is to do with the disc alightment for the caliper spacing and the chain alignment as different sprocket carriers have different widths. 

Fun fact. The F2 and the F3 hubs are the same distentions but not the rim width so you can fit a 160 rear tyre as stock on the F3 which swiftly moves us on.

A wider rear tyre(should you change the rim) like what @andyc has with the cbf500 rear wheel. Will cause chain clearance issues on the tyre so typically you'll need an offset front sprocket to counteract this. 

As for fitting a 140 rear to a 130 standard you'll be fine but it's also pretty pointless unless you're reaching the edge of the tyre regularly like me Wink 

As for your final question, I run a 110/70/17 and a 140/70/17 S20 evo tyres. I somewhat "bimble"(race) about on single lane back roads where my runoff areas are a stone wall, river, reservoir, or some stone barn that's over 400 years old. I also commute on motorways and I love them they've got really long life but I really love the way they tip into corners due to their aggressive profile so they don't square off so quickly unlike bt45's. I personally went through 1mm of tread on a bt45 in less than 300 miles and I wasn't giving it the stick that I usually do either. 

Fun fact: S20 evo's are cheaper per pair than bt45's and are a much better tyre.
Grarea

Post by Grarea on Mon 19 Jun 2017, 9:03 am

Excellent stuff.
Thanks again James.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 28 Jun 2017, 2:46 am