Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, ride safe! The CB500Club team

keeping cb500...but 3 other possiblilities - advice please

trevor machine
the 900
the 900

keeping cb500...but 3 other possiblilities - advice please

Post by trevor machine on Thu 08 Jun 2017, 6:45 am

Pretty sure I'd never get rid of my cb500s because I never get back from a ride and think okay, this Honda is rubbish. The opposite is usually true - the very worst I come up with is that I could use a bit more oomph. But tbh I rarely even have that notion. The good always outweighs the bad - it's pretty comfy, ridiculously reliable, and does almost everything I want it to. It's small, light and handles well.

But there are three bikes for sale locally that - fortunately - I could afford to buy, own and run. One is a 'fox-eye' 600 Fazer - 30k on it, £1.4k. 3 owners, tidy (no corrosion), and after a ride round the industrial estate thing where it's kept, it felt fine. Good ergos, etc. No chance to really get the true feel of it but it seemed straight and with some life left in it.

Second is a VFR750 - one owner, 70 odd thousand miles. Been used but loved. Cosmetically very clean. All standard. Can't remember year - same price as Fazer. Properly serviced all its life, etc.

Third is a CBR600F - last of the carbs. Not sure how many owners - probably three or four. But is immaculate - looks almost new. I know two of the previous keepers - one is an OCD type, always has minty rides. Probably as much a cleaner and a polisher as a rider. The guy after that had health problems and only put a few hundred on it. It's only got 8k on it but it's £2.6 grand.

To most, all three will seem too dear. And I agree with that. But bracketing price for a sec, if that's possible, what do you guys think of these? I know I don't *need* any of them - I'm not even sure I *want* one of them. The grass can often seem greener, though. I've never owned a bike with the seat and bar positioning of the CBR or VFR, and I'm certainly not getting any younger. So that detracts from those a bit - even though I like the idea of a Honda and given that I rarely ride for more than an hour or two at a time, I could probably still be relatively comfy on them - they're far from the most extreme positioning after all.

My riding is mostly local - vicinity of a 50-100 miles, and I'll do between 10 and 20 thousand miles a year, typically. I prefer more 'technical' roads - B-roads, and unclassifieds. There are plenty around here. Where 60 can feel fast enough most of the time. So I always come back to the view that the CB500 is pretty much perfect. There's a conspicuous absence of bragging rights with it, obviously. But there are only a couple of riders I go out with who can lose me totally - and I'm happy for them to do that because they're very experienced and have bikes with twice the cc. I know my limitations, and don't have a problem with that at all. Couldn't do much about it even if I wasn't!
Stevie Gimo
Squiddy
Squiddy

Other bikes?

Post by Stevie Gimo on Thu 08 Jun 2017, 7:24 am

Having owned a VFR & it's a cracking bike for sure, I know it's not as comfy as a CB500. I raised the bars on mine which helped a little, but after an hour or so, I'd had enough for the day.
I'm 60 shortly so that doesn't help I know, but the CB500 I could ride all day.
I love it, also had a CBR600 with the same issues, not the bikes fault, just didn't suit my old bones.....
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Re: keeping cb500...but 3 other possiblilities - advice please

Post by trevor machine on Thu 08 Jun 2017, 9:30 am

Yeah I get that - it's probably my biggest misgiving with both those bikes. The weight of the VFR is also a factor - I prefer light bikes (I know that sounds like a giving - but honestly, I look around at e.g. my local IAM and they're all on behemoths of one sort or another). But yes - "ergonomics". No use me trying to kid my self - I'm not very fit, probably at least 2-3 stone overweight and a fan of ease and comfort. Okay yeah - I do try to take my KLX off-roading for 3-4 hours every week, and being up on the pegs for most of that (albeit over generally easy terrain) helps keep biking muscles a bit stronger than they otherwise might be. But this is mostly a leg thing, and even though my slow machine control and a few other aspects of riding probably benefit from some green-laning, realistically speaking it's not going to do owt for my back and wrists - which will be the first thing to suffer on a sportier-focused bike.

I think part of me just wants to be able to tick a box and say yeah tried that kind of bike, didn't like it. Etc. But there's another - probably more audible - part of my brain that says sod that, too much trouble. Buying, insuring, bonding with a new bike - then flogging it because it's either not getting use, isn't much fun, or both...eh. Not sure I have much appetite for all that crap. And also, I'm trying to thin the herd not add to it! ; - ) Last thing I need is another one, if I'm brutally honest.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Thu 08 Jun 2017, 12:42 pm

I'd say that if you are going to get another bike, get something totally different as there is no sense in spending money on something which more or less does the same job.

Think sports, touring, offroad or adventure for example.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Thu 08 Jun 2017, 4:58 pm

Vfr lovely bike(i get one at some stage) fazer  dont know much about under seat exhaust one.... cbr 600f amazing bike had 92and 93 version cracking bike 98 was bit better.... and last aluminium framed carb ones even better.... theres a guy in usa  that has one there called f4 there i think he has  200-300k plus miles on one ..cbr600f be ur best bet... even if its not cheapest...it will be in long run
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Thu 08 Jun 2017, 5:58 pm

I know exactly what you guys are saying im not getting any younger either and so I have to say that my next bike will probably be a small trail bike that I can handle with ease
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Fri 09 Jun 2017, 8:28 am

Useful views - thanks everyone. More welcome.

RE trail type bikes (NB - obvious points follow ; - )) - they can be quite tall so that has to be factored in if you're not. That said, if you're not tall but you ARE heavy, such bikes usually have quite soft suspension so even though it's longer travel, it does sink down once you're on it, meaning that you probably will be able to get a foot or two down on the ground quite easily. So - if you're neither tall nor heavy, they can be a bit tricky on severe cambers, gritty roads, etc. Also - bikes like the KLX250 and the CRF250L do have pretty narrow seats and so aren't the most comfy of rides. The former is narrower than the latter - although the Honda feels firmer (i.e. harder) to me, and that bike also has less rear shock adjustability.
hh_12345
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by hh_12345 on Fri 09 Jun 2017, 10:27 am

There is a small trail bike I quite like - the Yamaha TW200. Not tall, not heavy.

I would get one some day if have the chance, as they are not available everywhere in Europe.

Dubbed "bmw gs killer" in an Africa trip Very Happy:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wakataitea/albums/72157651058980729

Prior to getting my CB I briefly owned a suzuki dr 800 big - it is the horror - that made me hate tall heavy  bikes for life.
Actually anything that replaces my CB would be smaller.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Fri 09 Jun 2017, 1:09 pm

Had xlr 250 baja it was handy tall bike didnt do much off road with it....
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Fri 09 Jun 2017, 1:14 pm

@hh_12345 wrote:There is a small trail bike I quite like - the Yamaha TW200. Not tall, not heavy.

I would get one some day if have the chance, as they are not available everywhere in Europe.

Yeah I've always loved the "t-dub" as some of the yanks seem to call it. Obviously, over there, they all have the 200. Over here the 125 is much more common and finding a 200 can be very difficult. Afaik, there's still a white and red one on eBay (UK) - but it's two and half grand irrc. And of course has km rather than miles clocks - because I think it's a grey import (probably Japanese). They look like the VanVan, but predate it so in fact the VanVan actually looks like the TW. The Yamaha is better though, imo - in probably every way (certainly looks-wise, to my eye). I suppose it could be claimed that the larger, round light of the Suzuki will be brighter thus more conspicuous for day-time running, and be more useful when riding in the dark.

The TW is more styled for off-roading - and probably more capable too. I think it's a bit tougher than the VanVan - certainly the Americans (and one Russian on YouTube) dole out a lot of challenges for the TW, and it seems to shrug it all off. The VanVan by contrast seems a bit more of an exercise in retro and cutesy styling. I like both bikes (!) - but prefer the Yamaha, and being realistic, I don't think I'd use either of them very much if I actually owned one. Which is precisely why I did sell my VanVan ; - ).

All that said, the TW is almost certainly going to be a manageable little bike - easy to get on and off (like you said, it's not tall), light and - despite the comically large tyres - it'll be light-footed and steering will be a doddle. The VanVan was, anyway.

I do have a bit of a question mark over those tyres when it comes to off-roading though. The aforementioned Russian guy tackles almost anything and to his credit, does so with aplomb from what I can see. But I do still wonder if those fat tyres tend to sit on the top of mud rather than dig in, like more conventional knobbly tyres e.g. Michelin AC10s etc. I only took my VanVan green laning once and although I didn't come off, I was right at the periphery of the (easy) trails, where mud was less in evidence. In the event, it was fine and the tyres weren't a problem at all - but I wouldn't have fancied tackling anything too gloopy!
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Fri 09 Jun 2017, 1:16 pm

hh_12345
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by hh_12345 on Fri 09 Jun 2017, 3:29 pm

Yes, there are some interesting images in the other  albums of the same user.

I share the same opinion in the tw - vanvan comparison. I like them both too, bit find the TW to be just a bit more, umm, "genuine".
Also if I am looking at a vanvan I would probably look next at a honda ruckus Very Happy

If the TW has been through the desert trip from the flickr album I would expect it to be  quite capable, but that  would have something to do with the rider skills also. I have never ridden a motorcycle off road, so I can only guess things.

While still had the DR I would read on advrider forums and there lighter machines (BMW G650X) were preferred over the big gs-like ones for what they called real adventure riding.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 15 Jun 2017, 7:00 pm

Small-ish off-road/trail bikes can certainly be fun but back on topic:

If you are going to get any of them (assuming money isn't a problem) then get the CBR600F - a completely different idea from a CB500 and you would probably get different things out of it. I'd try and get some money off and have a ride before I bought it (just in case you didn't like it instantly).

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 15 Dec 2017, 7:45 pm