Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Nasty clutch after laying bike up

jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Solved Nasty clutch after laying bike up

Post by jchesshyre on Wed 07 Jun 2017, 1:45 pm

I had my CB off the road for a year and re-commissioned it about a month ago. All has been fine and it passed its MoT without advisories.

I changed the oil just after putting it back on the road.

There is just one issue that's bugging me. The clutch feels nasty. It drags quite a lot even though the cable free-play is minimal, neutral can be hard to find, and the engagement feels juddery. Both these symptoms, as would be expected, are worse when cold. 

The cable doesn't seem to be frayed as the free-play is not increasing as it does when they're about to go, but could it still be that the cable is somehow stretched? I can't see how this would happen just from the bike sitting doing nothing. It almost feels as if the cable's too long because the free-play is actually below the minimum spec of 10-20mm at the lever and yet I'm getting the above symptoms. It's an OEM cable on there.

Last edited by jchesshyre on Tue 13 Jun 2017, 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
paul1098
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Solved Re: Nasty clutch after laying bike up

Post by paul1098 on Wed 07 Jun 2017, 11:21 pm

Funny you should mention the clutch.
Mine was OK untill I fell off, now it drags a lot. You have to use brake to stop wheel turning even when not in gear. Clutch cable has free play & clutch seems to work OK when riding it.

I'm guessing something isn't right inside the housing.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Thu 08 Jun 2017, 12:29 pm

Correct chain tension ?
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Sat 10 Jun 2017, 4:53 pm

Yes, chain tension is fine, and alignment. Not sure how either of those would cause clutch drag however. 

Paul1098, funny you should say that actually as a couple of weeks before laying it up I did come off it quite badly - low-side on a LH bend at c. 60mph. There was very little damage and I didn't notice any change in the clutch afterwards but then again it's not massively, massively obvious. It just feels odd as the clutch engages, like a pulsing of power to the rear wheel, and as I say there's a bit of drag, certainly more than there used to be. 

I can't think what could shift in there if the bike's on its side, unless one of the plates is slightly jammed at an angle in the basket? But then the clutch would have been engaged when the bike went down so really can't see this happening...
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Tue 13 Jun 2017, 7:50 pm

Well, wow is all I can say. I never realised a clutch cable could make this much difference. It totally felt like a problem within the clutch. 

I changed the cable today and the problem's completely gone! It must have gone all horrible from sitting about. 

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 20 Sep 2017, 3:39 pm