Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, ride safe! The CB500Club team

latest things to go wrong w/ my cb500

trevor machine
the 900
the 900

latest things to go wrong w/ my cb500

Post by trevor machine on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 2:54 pm

These are pretty damn minor and thus probably a testament to the bike's durability - but I'm a bit bored so will mention them anyway.

In both cases it's been a matter of lost bolts. Bike one lost its nice OEM chromed headlight bolt - the 14mm one that fastens it to the headlight bracket. David Silvers to the rescue - dear at seven quid but hey. Bike two also lost a bolt - this time one of the four that fastens the front mudguard on. This was one of the off-side ones - and the one that also anchors the front brake cable. Being smaller and unchromed this was much cheaper.

I'm not quite sure why my bikes are shedding their fasteners - and I'm a bit worried the remaining headlight bolt will be bent now, given that it will have held sole responsibility for securing the entire headlight unit and all the wiring secreted away within. Ugh. Not sure how long it's been like that - but I do have my hands all over the bikes on pretty much a daily basis, so I'm hoping it was for less than a hundred odd miles, if that.

But I 've been whacking miles onto both bikes this past month. Two hundred mile days have been fairly common - thousand mile weeks even more so. The weather's been dry, and having re-shod both bikes w/ Michelin Pilot Activs, they've both come in for a right spanking. Ooh these bikes do thrive on hard work. Much to their credit, they've been doling out embarrassment to all kinds of other stuff - Porsches, weekend warrior power rangers, and all manner of unsuspecting dawdlers. Both 500s have acquitted themselves admirably and with their de-baffled cans are only to glad to cry havoc, once I aha-ahem let slip the dogs of war. ; - )

They've also been pressed into more mundane motorway miles too - and I think this might've been responsible for the aforementioned lost fasteners. More likely, my habit of under-torquing and copper-slipping stuff won't have helped. One mate of mine is particularly critical of this and is far more keen to Loctite stuff and nip it up tight. Then again he does ride a Buell!
Jameshambleton

Re: latest things to go wrong w/ my cb500

Post by Jameshambleton on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 4:34 pm

I've gone through more rear bearings (sprocket and wheel) than I care to remember. I've just replaced them in one wheel and now I need to do the other too!
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 5:21 pm

Why do the bearings keep wearing out so fast? I'm getting paranoid now. Maybe it's because your bikes are used in all weather?
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 6:12 pm

I've only got 1 cb5, just I've got a spare pair of wheels ready just to hot swap out so the bike is never fully off the road. 
It's always the rear ones that I've had go.. though I suppose I've only just released that NSK are the best bearings to get rather than no brand and koyo. 
I now use www.simplybearings.co.uk/shop/ for ordering mine
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 14 Jun 2017, 9:28 pm

@Jameshambleton wrote:I've gone through more rear bearings (sprocket and wheel) than I care to remember. I've just replaced them in one wheel and now I need to do the other too!

I don't do as many miles as either of you and I've been through two! I suspect that all-year use probably doesn't help - especially with the sprocket carrier bearing (which is nearer the outside).
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Wed 14 Jun 2017, 9:56 pm

Trevor..your cb.. losing bolts... when last time your carbs were balanced ....could carbs badly out of balance causing vibration causing loosing bolts
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Thu 15 Jun 2017, 4:42 pm

That never occurred to me - but it's true. It's been a fair while since I got the carbs balanced.
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Thu 15 Jun 2017, 5:04 pm

Without wanting to sound pompous I would look at bearing installation method and/or bearing quality if they're failing early (or just luck, maybe!). My high-miler CB (retired at 145,000) never needed either wheel bearing changing! I had it from 24,000 miles and don't know if they were done before that. I had to do the sprocket carrier bearing a couple of times in its life. I rode the bike more or less daily all year round in all weathers.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 15 Jun 2017, 7:14 pm

@jchesshyre wrote:Without wanting to sound pompous I would look at bearing installation method and/or bearing quality if they're failing early (or just luck, maybe!). My high-miler CB (retired at 145,000) never needed either wheel bearing changing! I had it from 24,000 miles and don't know if they were done before that. I had to do the sprocket carrier bearing a couple of times in its life. I rode the bike more or less daily all year round in all weathers.

I should clarify: I had to change my sprocket carrier bearing twice - I've only done the wheel bearings once - they were on the way when I got the bike!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 18 Dec 2017, 8:51 am