Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Clicking/ticking sound from engine

LuxorJD

Clicking/ticking sound from engine

Post by LuxorJD on Thu 01 Jun 2017, 8:08 pm

After winter storage, my old bike is having some troubles. Its a CB500 from 1993/1994.
After what i believe to be carburator problems, the engine is starting to make a loud clicking/ticking sound.
I bought some carburetor and engine cleaner and mixed it in the old fuel. Ran it for around 300 km to clean the carburetor. Still problems with stalling so 1 more tank with new fuel and carburetor+engine cleaner. After engine stopped stalling when i rode it, I discovered this clicking/ticking sound from the engine. 

Searched the internet for answers, and this is what I have tried so far! 
1. change the oil. 
2. replaced the cam chain tensioner 
3. checked valve clearance 
4. adjusted 4 valve to be within specifications 
(only the left inlet and exhaust where out of specification) 

Still the engine is clicking and ticking. 

Any idea what to do now.?

Jameshambleton

Re: Clicking/ticking sound from engine

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 01 Jun 2017, 8:17 pm

Have you checked to see if the exhaust is blowing at the headers?
LuxorJD

Post by LuxorJD on Thu 01 Jun 2017, 8:29 pm

Jameshambleton wrote:Have you checked to see if the exhaust is blowing at the headers?

How do i check that ??
LuxorJD

Post by LuxorJD on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 8:44 am

Could it be the rod bearings thats warn out? Because of high rev driving, the bike was stolen and driven around some months last year.
Is it possible to replace bearings from underneath, by removing the swamp, and without removing the engine?
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 11:03 am

Its cam chain tensioner i have it on my cb s has 18k it rattles in and out as bike was left up for over 7yrs with out being started... take out tensioner and put it in oil for night put it back in...if not buy new one
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 5:40 pm

He replaced the cam chain tensioner already so should be fine. A very simple and not very scientific method to check if the headers are blowing is to get the thinnest cigarette paper you can by and hold it up to the headers. Any exhaust gas leaking from that point will disturb the paper. It does sound similar to my bike after I changed the headers and the seal was not perfect.
LuxorJD

Post by LuxorJD on Sun 04 Jun 2017, 4:56 pm

i Have not tried to check the headers with cigarette paper, but if i block the exhaust with a cloth the engine dies, so it should me tight enough (or what).
I also listened with a screwdriver placed on outlet to exhaust and the ear to the handle and there is nothing to hear, really quiet.
It sounds like a mechanical knocking.
I talked with a mechanic who did not know  what it was, but he told me that i should expect to pay around 1000 € i work sallory plus expences. The bike is not worth that kind of money, 
thats why i thought i could get to the rod bearings from the sump, planed on laying the bike on the side and work from there, but i am not sure it is possible.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Sun 04 Jun 2017, 5:46 pm

I think James is right, it sounds like a poor exhaust seal at the engine. If the bearings are gone, there will be a hammering noise when you rev (rod bearings gone) or oil light on if mains are gone.

The business of blocking the exhaust and the engine dies is meaningless.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 20 Sep 2017, 3:43 pm