Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Fuel tap overhaul + new fuel lines

ZekeVal
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Fuel tap overhaul + new fuel lines

Post by ZekeVal on Tue 23 May 2017, 5:06 am

Hi there,

I've noticed that my fuel tap doesn't close properly: in the OFF position, engine on, trying to empty those carbs bowls before storage, the engine wouldn't stop... so I suppose fuel is still going through without too much resistance.

So I plan to get the tap repair kit as well as change the fuel line since I'm at it in the (not so) close future.

My question is what diameter and length (approx.) should I order for the hoses, and should I change the breather hoses as well?

Val.
Jameshambleton

Re: Fuel tap overhaul + new fuel lines

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 23 May 2017, 8:01 am

Fuel hose: Inside 8 mm Outside 13 mm length 255 mm
Vacuum hose: Inside 3.5 mm Outside 8mm length 210mm - slightly longer maybe preferable 

http://www.cb500club.net/t4699-spec-stats#42587

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Tue 23 May 2017, 9:36 am

It takes a while for the engine to stop. How long did you run it for?
Drago76
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by Drago76 on Tue 23 May 2017, 10:07 am

@sullivj wrote:It takes a while for the engine to stop. How long did you run it for?

not a very while. cruising at 40 mph from closed fuel flow to engine start sputtering takes about 1 mile on mine.....Razz
ZekeVal
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by ZekeVal on Tue 23 May 2017, 11:11 am

Thanks for the info.

I ran the engine for more than 15min, revving the engine from time to time. I had a previous experience a few month ago where I started and drove less than a kilometer before choking because I had forgotten to open the tap. So I really think it's leaking; it's getting harder to close and open as well.
Drago76
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by Drago76 on Tue 23 May 2017, 11:14 am

@ZekeVal wrote:Thanks for the info.

I ran the engine for more than 15min, revving the engine from time to time. I had a previous experience a few month ago where I started and drove less than a kilometer before choking because I had forgotten to open the tap. So I really think it's leaking; it's getting harder to close and open as well.

actually, invented a fuel filter with transparent body, and even a transparent fueol line from tank to filter is very handy thing, so you can see at a moment - do you have fuel in lines, and see a flow, or absence of flow Wink
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 24 May 2017, 11:21 pm

@ZekeVal wrote:Thanks for the info.

No, 15 mins is too long, even if only idling - sounds like it is leaking. You'll have to post your success (or otherwise!) with the repair kit here...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 26 Jul 2017, 7:35 am