Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

"Smart" Gear Recommendation

ratatooie
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

"Smart" Gear Recommendation

Post by ratatooie on Thu 18 May 2017, 1:43 pm

I'm after a recommendation for some "smart" trousers that can be worn on the bike to and from work as well as all day at work. They have to be suitable for an office so smart/smart casual. Ideally including armour etc. 

I have a few pairs of motorcycle denim type jeans, but they are a tad too casual. 

I have a suit at the office for meetings etc, but would rather not faff about with over-trousers or leathers changing at the start and end of the day. 

While we are at it how about some smarter boots that are motorbike and office appropriate?

Thanks!
Jameshambleton

Re: "Smart" Gear Recommendation

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 18 May 2017, 1:46 pm

My friend has some RST boots and jeans that look like normal stuff, smart casual. In all honestly I started having a go at him until I saw rst written on his boots and then noticed the extra stitching on his jeans I'd be/wasn't none the wiser.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 18 May 2017, 11:16 pm

Depending on your workplace you may be able to get away with some of the alt-berg dual use boots:

http://www.altberg.co.uk/category/motorcycle-boots/

They are a bit expensive, but I'm thinking of getting some (two of my biking mates have these and say they are good).

I fear that if you want boots which *really* don't look like bike boots (or at least walking/army boots) then you might have to compromise on protection a little bit - a low-rise boot can't ever provide as much protection - I'm not saying 'don't do it' but it is something to think about.  Mind you, *any* boot are better than the trainers or flip-flops that I have seen being worn...

Can't help with the trousers part (I have leathers or normal jeans) - don't really wear the normal jeans on the bike if I'm going anywhere other than into town (which isn't far away or very fast).
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 18 May 2017, 11:23 pm

@eternally_troubled wrote:Depending on your workplace you may be able to get away with some of the alt-berg dual use boots:

http://www.altberg.co.uk/category/motorcycle-boots/

They are a bit expensive, but I'm thinking of getting some (two of my biking mates have these and say they are good).

I fear that if you want boots which *really* don't look like bike boots (or at least walking/army boots) then you might have to compromise on protection a little bit - a low-rise boot can't ever provide as much protection - I'm not saying 'don't do it' but it is something to think about.  Mind you, *any* boot are better than the trainers or flip-flops that I have seen being worn...

Can't help with the trousers part (I have leathers or normal jeans) - don't really wear the normal jeans on the bike if I'm going anywhere other than into town (which isn't far away or very fast).

Put a pair of jeans over my RST boots and if they didn't have the toe sliders or the massive rst branding on them you'd never know they're full length boots

eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 18 May 2017, 11:38 pm

@Jameshambleton wrote:

Put a pair of jeans over my RST boots and if they didn't have the toe sliders or the massive rst branding on them you'd never know they're full length boots

I agree - I do something similar quite often, however they are not quite like 'real shoes' enough for everyone - however, if you wear something like these in a similar way:

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/72963

no one will know they are motorcycle boots.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Fri 19 May 2017, 9:19 am

Do you ever find that, when wearing bike boots for normal life stuff, you get really hot feet? My theory is that because they offer protection for calf and shin, and are thus quite thick, they also insulate - and so when your blood gets down to your feet it's actually been kept warmer than it otherwise might have. So your feet are correspondingly warmer - and after a couple of hours of this they feel positively hot. Too hot. I quite often don't take my boots off when I get in, and walk around the house in them (don't worry folks - no carpets are harmed...because we don't have any). Pretty soon my feet start to feel ridiculously warm and I have to ditch the boots quickly or things get really uncomfy.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Fri 19 May 2017, 9:44 am

@trevor machine wrote:Do you ever find that, when wearing bike boots for normal life stuff, you get really hot feet? My theory is that because they offer protection for calf and shin, and are thus quite thick, they also insulate - and so when your blood gets down to your feet it's actually been kept warmer than it otherwise might have. So your feet are correspondingly warmer - and after a couple of hours of this they feel positively hot. Too hot. I quite often don't take my boots off when I get in, and walk around the house in them (don't worry folks - no carpets are harmed...because we don't have any). Pretty soon my feet start to feel ridiculously warm and I have to ditch the boots quickly or things get really uncomfy.

I regularly (no less than 4 days a week) wear my boots 7/8 hours a day with no problems, only time i have issues is when it's the warmer months and I'm wearing my thermal textile trousers with jeans on (pj bottoms don't have the heat issue)
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Fri 19 May 2017, 1:43 pm

A reasonable compromise for trousers is a pair of leather jeans. I bought a pair as a price+protection compromise because NOBODY makes motorcycling jeans my size, and I wanted something that didn't scream "biker" when in normal life. The ones I got were from ebay and have worked well. They keep me dry in the rain, warm in cold weather and have decent protection (as I found out a couple of times!) Also they aren't too bad in hot weather either, not that it gets really warm here by continental standards.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Fri 19 May 2017, 2:06 pm

@Jameshambleton wrote:

@trevor machine wrote:Do you ever find that, when wearing bike boots for normal life stuff, you get really hot feet? My theory is that because they offer protection for calf and shin, and are thus quite thick, they also insulate - and so when your blood gets down to your feet it's actually been kept warmer than it otherwise might have. So your feet are correspondingly warmer - and after a couple of hours of this they feel positively hot. Too hot. I quite often don't take my boots off when I get in, and walk around the house in them (don't worry folks - no carpets are harmed...because we don't have any). Pretty soon my feet start to feel ridiculously warm and I have to ditch the boots quickly or things get really uncomfy.

I regularly (no less than 4 days a week) wear my boots 7/8 hours a day with no problems, only time i have issues is when it's the warmer months and I'm wearing my thermal textile trousers with jeans on (pj bottoms don't have the heat issue)

Agreed on the time of year thing. The only reason I even mentioned this is because, with the odd warm spring day we've had, I've started to notice it again. I'd pretty much forgotten it from last year. I think it's also a circulatory thing as well - I'm probably at least twice as old as you and my blood's thicker - full of carcinogenic gunk of various types following more than half a lifetime's worth of abuse of myriad forms. Which means I get colder in winter and warmer in summer - esp. the extremities.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 19 May 2017, 10:13 pm

@trevor machine wrote:Do you ever find that, when wearing bike boots for normal life stuff, you get really hot feet?

Yes - this can happen. It's normally worse with thicker, waterproof, winter and also cheaper more plastic boots. Summer ones (with the little holes) are better in this respect, however less practical in the rain...
hh_12345
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by hh_12345 on Sat 20 May 2017, 9:25 am

@trevor machine wrote:Do you ever find that, when wearing bike boots for normal life stuff, you get really hot feet?

Mine are not exactly boots, more shoe like, but are made of leather, have some protection and still I can not wear them indoors for long - no matter the weather outside. Same is for my bike jeans, that are made of quite  thick denim.

I also suspect that if I feel comfortable wearing my bike clothes when off the bike I will not feel well protected in them while riding.
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Sat 20 May 2017, 11:50 am

@hh_12345 wrote:...my bike jeans, that are made of quite  thick denim.

I also suspect that if I feel comfortable wearing my bike clothes when off the bike I will not feel well protected in them while riding.

Hopefully your bike jeans are made of kevlar...

Riding a bike means being exposed to the chill factor of the passing air, requiring better insulation. Even on a summer day, black leathers are reasonably comfy as long as you are on the move.

Bottom line; thick and effective armour - be that kevlar or leather - is required for the riding, but not for the workplace/office situation. I've tried to address that same issue and gave up. I have a pair of Held kevlar jeans looking quite - but not entirely - like normal jeans. And I agree on the boot issue - to be effective, they must at the least cover your ankles, making them look silly when combined with company dress code.
Wearing biking gear indoors just won't work. Too damn hot!

Now, it's my luck that I'm a nerd. Nerds are allowed to show up in shorts, two different socks and flipflops.

So I bit the bullet. Leathers, gloves and the whole nine yards for the ride, then a change of clothes on arrival. If the boss insists on me being 'presentable' I'll bring along something nice to wear for the occasion. But he'd better remember to tell me a day in advance...

If I were a salesman I'd hate my life. So, I'm not.

I follow the guideline laid out by Dalai Llama:

"It's easy to get a good life: All you do is look at your life as it is, then take out the not so good stuff and replace it with something you like."

So I took out shirts, suffocating ties and saleswork and put in motorcycles, programming/tinkering and good food.

But I'm digressing...

I simply do not believe you can find a set of clothes today that will do both; offer proper protection while riding and still be dresscode at work. Mostly because of heat/protection issues.

So, quoting the old knight from Indiana Jones movie #1, "you must choose wisely."
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sat 20 May 2017, 11:03 pm

These are what I'm on about

hh_12345
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by hh_12345 on Mon 22 May 2017, 9:29 am

@stormbringer wrote:

Hopefully your bike jeans are made of kevlar...

Yes, they have the kevlar lining in the usual areas, but the denim used is of such a heavy weight that they keep me really warm, so I just got used to changing clothes 2/3 times a day.

If they were lighter they could probably be worn during the day.

But still, riding gear, worn all day on and off the bike might get, hm, a bit smelly faster, and would require frequent washing. drunken
ratatooie
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by ratatooie on Wed 31 May 2017, 12:04 pm

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I have also been doing some digging and have come up with a few other options which might be of interest.

A company called Road Skin does some really decent fully lined jeans that I have a few pairs of, but also a pair of Kevlar/Aramid  leggings that you can wear under anything and that have pockets for armour. These might be worth a look, but I might be a bit concerned that they would make me pretty warm in the office all day. 

I've also found a pair of shoes from Alpinestars called Oscar Rayburns. They look the part, but being shorer boots, I wonder how much good they would do beyond preventing the foot getting bent backwards. Also I don't have £millions so don't really want to spend £160 odd on a pair of shoes! The reviews also state that the leather gets stuffed up from the gear lever in about a year of wear too. 

I will have a look around the pop-up shops over TT and see what deals there are to be had too.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 28 Jun 2017, 9:15 pm