Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

McPint, the NW200 and this new 'Blade

trevor machine
the 900
the 900

McPint, the NW200 and this new 'Blade

Post by trevor machine on Tue 16 May 2017, 1:38 pm

Not cb500-relevant so apologies for that - but (perhaps inevitably) I've been thinking about his terrible crash. One thing was, I'd almost come to think of him as invulnerable - too good to crash, as it were. And also the irony of his comments regarding Guy Martin's readiness for the TT. Turns out he wasn't the one everyone should've been worrying about. Then there's Honda's pulling out of (some? all?) racing with the new bike. Suspicion seems to have fallen on the new ride-by-wire cableless throttle. McGuinness himself had previously raised concerns about the latest bike and iirc even gone so far as to say he preferred the old bike. Doubtless more information on this will come to light in due course. Finally, speculation on whether JM will continue his career after such a serious accident. At 45 recovery probably won't be as fast - nor perhaps even as complete - as for a younger, fitter rider. Sad news however you look at it. : - (
ratatooie
Running out of unique names

Re: McPint, the NW200 and this new 'Blade

Post by ratatooie on Tue 16 May 2017, 4:20 pm

Poor McPint. There has been a lot of talk over here in the IoM about this (possibly not surprising given the impending TT!)

I'm sure everyone makes mistakes (don't forget that he had an off during testing as well), but there have been quite a few sources I have heard citing the bike rather than the rider as being the point of failure in that particular crash.  

There is apparently a nifty piece of tech on the newer bikes that allows the riders to set their throttle at the wide open position until they disengage it manually. I have heard that this might be the point of failure on his Blade. This is allegedly also why GM was pulled from the race. Obviously this isn't confirmed so take it with a vat of salt...I'm thinking General Lee to replace him for this TT at least! 

Whichever way you slice it, this new Blade is looking like a right turd. From what I have seen in the press, its road going variant has been eviscerated.
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Tue 16 May 2017, 7:02 pm

@trevor machine wrote:Not cb500-relevant so apologies for that - but (perhaps inevitably) I've been thinking about his terrible crash. One thing was, I'd almost come to think of him as invulnerable - too good to crash, as it were. And also the irony of his comments regarding Guy Martin's readiness for the TT. Turns out he wasn't the one everyone should've been worrying about. Then there's Honda's pulling out of (some? all?) racing with the new bike. Suspicion seems to have fallen on the new ride-by-wire cableless throttle. McGuinness himself had previously raised concerns about the latest bike and iirc even gone so far as to say he preferred the old bike. Doubtless more information on this will come to light in due course. Finally, speculation on whether JM will continue his career after such a serious accident. At 45 recovery probably won't be as fast - nor perhaps even as complete - as for a younger, fitter rider. Sad news however you look at it. : - (

yea people used to think that joey was invulnerable too and it has been seventeen years now since that sad day in Estonia Crying or Very sad
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Tue 16 May 2017, 7:19 pm

@skyrider wrote:

yea people used to think that joey was invulnerable too and it has been seventeen years now since that sad day in Estonia Crying or Very sad

Yes road racing has not been same since joey &  robert passed, 17yrs where has the time gone Crying or Very sad....hope mcpint has a quick recovery. I will visit joeys statue at isle man, when i am at the manx this year hopefully
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Tue 16 May 2017, 7:23 pm

yes and the steve hislop memorial is a nice place to see as well very near the port jack chippy
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Tue 16 May 2017, 11:29 pm

Yes an amazing rider... i read his book.. what a hard life he had.also.. getting shafted  in teams, a genius rider if he was having a good day he be hard to beat.  hopefully i get to see this too
ratatooie

Post by ratatooie on Thu 25 May 2017, 10:19 am

Did people see that Lee Johnston has left Jacksons, which means that my prediction could very well come true that he will be the McPint replacement. However I see that the Mugen Bike has already been given to Bruce Anstey (which also means that Guy Martin probably won't get his first TT win!)
UKTyler
Three's a Charm
Three's a Charm

Post by UKTyler on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 9:59 pm

Mc Pint seems to be recovering well, he is in the IOM now doing promo work.

Lee Johnson had an off on the 600 today:

https://twitter.com/lee_johnston13?lang=en
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Sun 04 Jun 2017, 7:55 am

Yes - there's an interview with JM on MCN from a few days ago. Personally I'd have stayed at home - he understandably seems pretty miserable behind his affable exterior. I kind of curse the "big H" for this. John knew instinctively that the bike wasn't quite as it should be and everything has to be just so when pushing as hard as these riders always do. They should've heeded his misgivings and known that the riders themselves will probably not surrender to the imperfections, being the go-getters they are and have to be. When they come out with stuff like they preferred the old bike, and when they don't have unreserved praise for the latest iteration, that should count. Moreover, if you read between the lines of the latest magazine and website reviews of the new Fireblade, a lot of the comments do echo what's been said by competitive riders. The throttle and aspects of the fuelling do seem errant and not entirely predictable. I think there's a chance the new bike will, in years to come, be regarded as at best a missed opportunity, and at worst, dangerous.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 05 Jun 2017, 8:07 am

After Guy's crash I'd say dangerous. Exactly the same with John too, something is wrong with them Honda's. If they're testing new things then it should be in motogp not bloody road racing.
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Mon 05 Jun 2017, 9:07 am

yes it looks like Honda have certainly got it wrong with the new blade
UKTyler
Three's a Charm
Three's a Charm

Post by UKTyler on Mon 05 Jun 2017, 11:45 am

I agree with James on this one, the mountain course is no place to be testing a bike, especially something as complex as the new Blade. Honda pulled out of the NW200 with good reason, how much testing have they managed to get done between then and now?

McPint and Martin are both hugely experienced riders but they don't seem to know what went wrong, I think it is time for Honda to pack the Blades away for this year.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 05 Jun 2017, 3:55 pm

UKTyler
Three's a Charm
Three's a Charm

Post by UKTyler on Fri 09 Jun 2017, 11:40 am

Honda have pulled the Blade from the Senior, a good decision IMO.

http://www.hondaproracing.com/road-racing/honda-racing-isle-of-man-senior-tt-statement/
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Fri 09 Jun 2017, 4:22 pm

Yeah probably for the best. I thought it was interesting that GM didn't explicitly blame the bike - I know he mentioned not being able to find fourth when changing down from fifth, so I suppose implicitly he did kind of "blame" the bike. But I'm used to him not pulling his punches on stuff like this and saying quite categorically what's wrong with something/someone/somewhere etc. Lol - I'm not saying he always blames everything but himself - cos in fact what tends to happen is he starts a sentence saying one thing, and by the time he gets to the end of it, he's saying the opposite (!). ; - )

Anyway, I thought that interview was quite out of character for him - he seems on the verge of tears (understandable for all kinds of reasons - but as I said, not really what I've come to expect from him), and also genuinely shaken and very perturbed by what happened. Why wouldn't he be?? Of course, of course. He surely would. And yet for all that, I'm used to him shrugging it all off, in an almost cavalier, I'm nearly tempted to say wrongheaded sort of way. But this is something different again. Like a new sense of realism and/or realisation has had to be accommodated. Whether that he can never win the race that he's always wanted to, or that he personally himself is fallible (mortal?), and that no amount of determination or focus can ever change that.
UKTyler
Three's a Charm
Three's a Charm

Post by UKTyler on Fri 09 Jun 2017, 4:27 pm

His words about it when he was interviewed after finishing the Zero race were telling. It was his call not to compete in the Senior.

Senior is red flagged awaiting a restart and reduced to 4 laps.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Sat 10 Jun 2017, 8:44 am

The interview post Zero (I think it's on the MCN site) was much more like the GM we're all familiar with - cheerful, crackers and talking ten to the dozen. Much happier, basically.
UKTyler
Three's a Charm
Three's a Charm

Post by UKTyler on Sat 10 Jun 2017, 2:13 pm

Manx Radio did an interview with him as he was getting off the bike and he spoke more about the Blade then. He wasn't exactly praising it then.

I tried to find it on the catch up section of Manx Radio, but couldn't find it.
ratatooie

Post by ratatooie on Thu 15 Jun 2017, 11:31 am

@UKTyler wrote:I agree with James on this one, the mountain course is no place to be testing a bike, especially something as complex as the new Blade. Honda pulled out of the NW200 with good reason, how much testing have they managed to get done between then and now?

True, but then look what Dunlop did on the new Suzuki.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 22 Aug 2017, 6:34 am